koa vs mahogony

When in doubt, go with the solid wood, unless you really, really like the look of the prettier laminate. Kala uses laminated koa, but their better mahogany instruments are solid. You'll get more projection out of the solid-wood ukes. Not saying that the laminates are bad; some people here swear by koa/mango Kalas. But solid wood is usually more desirable, and probably has more resale value if you decide to upgrade.

In that price range, check out Mainland ukes too (the UU store sells them). This thread will provide some insight if you can't decide on mahogany or cedar.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9563

Last edited:
KOA!!!! well i have a kamaka so i love the koa but kala is laminated koa so idk i still :bowdown: to koa

KOA!!!! well i have a kamaka so i love the koa but kala is laminated koa so idk i still :bowdown: to koa

COmparing a kamaka with a kala is unfair. The kamaka uses solid koa and I have owned both laminate and solid koa. IF it comes down to a laminate and a solid you got to go with the solid wood. Well you don't really got to but it will be a better instrument in the long run.

Now back to your original question I own a solid koa and a solid mahaghany uke made by same company. The mahaghany sounds better (louder, more sustain) than the koa but it isn't as pretty as the koa. It all comes down to what you like. Looks or sound? Another great option is looking for a mahaghany back and sides and koa top uke. Great blend.

It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Mahogany, in my experience, has a darker, warmer tone, whereas koa is brighter and more mellow.

Whats your price range? This will help us in suggesting Ukuleles

You cant really go wrong with either wood but I too vote for solid over laminate.

Either way... you will have both + others once UAS kicks in

Whats your price range? This will help us in suggesting Ukuleles

i got the same question as the guy who started this thread i got a fat tax return so im looking to score with a new uke.

i would throw down 300 dollars for a something nice

It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Mahogany, in my experience, has a darker, warmer tone, whereas koa is brighter and more mellow.

also wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts on how spruce wood sounds compared to koa or mahogany.

Top Bottom