Customs Fees / Tariffs for Tom Pocket Uke from Hong Kong?

Papa Tom

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of those neat little Tom TUP-200 pocket ukes on eBay. The price is $38, so if it turns out to be unplayable, it's not much of a loss.

My concern is whether that $38 will turn into a lot more after additional fees are added to import it into the USA. Has anyone purchased one, and if so, were the fees exorbitant?

Never had to pay tariffs or fees on any purchase I made from a Chinese seller.

I haven't had to pay tarrifs for anything I've gotten from random far east ebay sellers. That's no guarantee obviously. But I suspect you'll be fine.

I have bought three Rubins via e-bay that came with free shipping from China to the USA and had no additional costs.

If the package is held (and I doubt it will be) and there are taxes I believe you have the option to just walk away from the purchase.

I have also bought electric tuners, gear tuners, buttons, strings, an electronic pick-up, and several non ukulele related items from china and never had any additional costs. (and no two items came together in the same shipment.) I also know people with more than a dozen bruce wei ukes, and have not had extra charges from shipments from Viet Nam.

Last edited:
So, based on all your input, I just ordered the Tom TUP-200 for a total of $37.44 US. At the last minute, I questioned myself as to whether the RUBIN was the one I should have gotten, as most people here seem to have that one. Then I saw that they are sold out in most places and, this being an impulse purchase, I didn't want to lose steam, so I ordered the Tom.

If anybody has played both and can make me feel better about the Tom, please chirp in. Of course, I really only bought it because it has my name on it.

Top Bottom