NUD Beau Hannam Custom

BlueLatitude

Reaction score
I've actually had this for a few days now, and it's awesome. It took a while to get but it was very much worth the wait! If you are a subscriber to Ukulele Rhythms magazine you might already have seen pictures of this concert uke, built by Beau Hannam.

Rosewood back and sides, sinker redwood top, walnut burl scoop cutaway, side sound port, radiused fingerboard, inlaid headstock, tuned low G. It's drool-worthy to look at.

10906211_752064454882270_1450950080049021117_n.jpg 10891706_752064428215606_9108430428454709340_n.jpg 10906309_750685525020163_7811068800536915816_n.jpg 10818345_753488914739824_9032521029753126928_o.jpg

But even better than the looks is the sound. It is rich and vibrant, not brash, very guitar-like, which is just what I asked for. It's hard to believe that so much sound can come out of a concert-sized instrument.

A friend doing some quick improvising on it:
https://soundcloud.com/lazylemur/wav2-improvisation

It is super easy to play. The side sound port is wonderful, I don't know how I ever did without one. Finally I don't have to bend in front of my uke to hear it!! And it's so light and comfortable in my hands, I can't get over that!

The craftsmanship is superb. Beau puts a lot of care and consideration into his builds outside and inside, and it shows. There are many little details that I'm still discovering, all beautifully done. And he's a true joy to work with, too. :D

I feel incredibly lucky to own this amazing piece of luthiery, it is a far, far better instrument than I am a player, but I will do my best to become worthy of it eventually. :worship:

:drool::drool::drool:

Basically speakless

I saw photos of your ukulele on Beau Hannam's web site, what a work of art!

Congratulations on a stunning instrument!

Congratulations ....Yup Gilly, didnt I tell you it would be amazing...I am glad you too are so happy with yours.. I Luv mine too ;) Happy Strummings
Beau Hannam Concert 12.19.14 015.jpg Beau Hannam Concert 12.19.14 011.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, Beau does great work and he has a feel for sussing out just exactly what his customers need. :D

Yup, Beau does great work and he has a feel for sussing out just exactly what his customers need. :D

Thanks so much :)
I try to gain an understanding of what a person likes and loves in life and try to focus that into their builds. (Did that sound like a Hall mark card?!)

Bee-You-Tee-Full!!!!

That is a real stunner. The figure on the rosewood is totally insane. Enjoy her brother.

Man that uke is the cat's pajamas for sure. Congrats! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Works of art. Not sure there's any custom ukes out there I'd rather have than a Hannum

That fading purfling line on the headstock is ridiculously gorgeous. I mean it's such a small detail but it really gets the eyes going up and focusing on the beauty of the headstock inlay. It also makes it look very three dimensional, as if there is a layer of headstock going behind another layer. Wow.

it would be great to hear a natural sound without reverb.

Congrats on a new uke

Last edited:
Wow! All I can say is WOW! And Congrats!:shaka:

Sight and sound.... Amazing. I'd like to know more about the blue on the headstock. Jeff

That Veneer is called 'Midnight blue'- about .020" thick so it was hard to not sand through with all the shell.

That fading purfling line on the headstock is ridiculously gorgeous. I mean it's such a small detail but it really gets the eyes going up and focusing on the beauty of the headstock inlay. It also makes it look very three dimensional, as if there is a layer of headstock going behind another layer. Wow.

Thanks- That fading purfling took me many years to think about, develop and now execute. It takes me about a full day bit bind my headstock because of it but i love it.

Last edited:
wow.

Oh.

My.

God.

That is crazy awesome. Beau is tremendously talented.

Top Bottom