CA born, HI raised, living in MA - Hello!

azsheeyan

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new to this site, but the ukulele and I are old friends! My grandmother taught me how to strum basic chords from when I was very young (it was a great way to pass the time sitting under shabby tarps during the random thunderstorms). She used to write songs for me to hula dance to; I miss those days, and playing the uke makes me feel close to her again. When I moved away for college, I lost touch, because I had only ever played with her. Now... errrr... many years have gone by, more than I'd want to admit, and I've picked it up again with a new appreciation for all the things she taught me. Actually, I found I enjoyed it so much that I started playing at open-mic nights and hospitals for recreation therapy with my girlfriend.

I want to keep moving forward and sharing the musical experience, but I am currently a PhD student in the biochemistry field and don't have a lot of time (no time to be exact) to go to group meet-ups. I also want to hear constructive criticism - all of my friends are very positive, but that's what they're there for. I need honesty to improve. I also just find that ukulele people are awesome. I found this website through r/ukulele, and I'm really excited to share some of my songs and stuff! So here I am!

Welcome to UU! I think you will like it here. If you would like feedback on you playing, feel free to join The Seasonistas! It's a subforum over in the UU Contests area. It's weekly challenges with themes. We post YouTube videos and give each other feedback. I just recently joined and its been a lot of fun. Here is a link. We are in Season 152.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele

Welcome! What part of MA are you in? I was born and raised in and around Lynn. That's where my grandmother taught me ukulele. I'll be making the pilgrimage back there in a year or so with my wife. Happy uking!

Aloha. Welcome to UU and welcome back to the uke. I had a 40 year sabbatical from uke playing (military brat that got to live on Oahu in late 60s) and was suprised how fast the fingers remember to play!

Hope to hear some of your work. Check out the seasonistas weeks in the contests subforum. A different theme each week.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Greetings and welcome, glad you joined us.

Welcome to UU! I think you will like it here. If you would like feedback on you playing, feel free to join The Seasonistas! It's a subforum over in the UU Contests area. It's weekly challenges with themes. We post YouTube videos and give each other feedback. I just recently joined and its been a lot of fun. Here is a link. We are in Season 152.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele

Thanks this is perfect! I did one challenge earlier this week and I thought it really pushed me to think creatively.

It sounds like you are super busy, but you might want to check out this group:

http://www.meetup.com/BostonUke/

They meet up at least twice per month at various spots around the Greater Boston area. Personally, I am lucky to have the time join them once per quarter, but they are a fantastic group of people who span the whole spectrum of playing ability. There is a good chance that you could find a playing buddy that has a similar schedule as you.

Top Bottom