Redwood as a tonewood

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Who makes ukuleles with a redwood top? I bought a Dulcimer last summer and since I didn't know anything about them I played virtually everyone in the store. I picked it 100% based on sound. I ended up with one with a redwood top and Hickory sides and back. Hands down sounded the best of the lot. I was wondering if any uke makers use solid Redwood for the top? Also is Redwood similar to Cedar in tonal properties?

Lots of builders use redwood. I have a Redwood/Myrtle Covered Bridge concert and it is fantastic. Perry and Terry love building with it. While many luthiers are using it, it isn't used very often in factory built ukes.

Yes, it is similar to cedar.

Last edited:
Lots of builders use redwood. I have a Redwood/Myrtle Covered Bridge concert and it is fantastic. Perry and Terry love building with it. While many luthiers are using it, it isn't used very often in factory built ukes.

Definitive answer. Some say it is like cedar on steroids. Kinnard is another builder that likes to use it

Ohana makes some Redwood/Rosewood ukes.

It's my understanding that redwood is even softer than cedar and that the best redwood tops are made of "sinker" redwood. I have only heard them online and have liked the sound on every redwood topped instrument I've heard.

When I was researching them a while back I read several complaints of it sounding dead so decided against it.

I guess I know what my next CB will be :)

My latest homemade ukulele is made using old-growth redwood siding that I was able to salvage from an old boathouse slated for demolition. After a suggestion from another UU member, I left the weathered side showing and unfinished.

Here's a quote from the web site below:
"Considered by many to be the King of tonewood, Redwood is incredibly resonant with awesome harmonic development, projection and sustain."

http://ukuleletonewood.com/ukulele-sets/ukulele-soundboards/redwood-soundboards.html

I owned a Ko'olau concert once that had a redwood top over koa. It was lovely, and had a really rich, lush tone. As far as comparisons, I wouldn't call it "cedar on steroids." To my ear, it seemed more in between cedar and spruce. Almost like a nice broken-in and aged spruce top. I've not heard any definitive evidence that sinker redwood sounds significantly different that non-sinker, but it sure can look cool. It generally darkens, and can get very cool striping and streaking from mineral infusion.

-Steve

I am very fond of redwood for both guitar and ukulele tops.
To me it sounds significantly different than a cedar top.

I have 4 guitars with redwood tops, 2 sinker redwood and 2 old growth redwood.

I have 2 ukuleles with redwood tops, one is a Compass Rose tenor with a "Stanford Redwood" top made from a 50 to 60 year old fence that was reclaimed from the university after it was dismantled.

There may be other members here with ukes made from that wood, and I know that several other Compass Rose ukes have been made from that wood.

I think Gryphon Strings currently has one in stock from Compass Rose with a "Stanford Redwood" top.

Here are pictures of mine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I personally prefer cedar, based on the few instruments (all guitars) I've tried with redwood tops. Haven't found a redwood uke in my neck of the woods to try, though.

I do not have any instruments with redwood tops. I will be having a banjolele made for me in the not to distant future. Redwood burl is my prime choice for the resonator.

I have 2 top redwood ukes. One is a concert vita by David Talsma and the other is a Koolau tenor. Although I haven't been able to figure out how to post pictures, You can check it out on Dave Talsma's site. He has the top listed as rosewood, but it is actually redwood. Both ukes sound great! I don't think you would be disappointed choosing redwood for a top.

but mostly because the source is more environmentally friendly.

Actually, I think a lot of redwood soundboards are cut from trees that were either felled by natural causes, or are reclaimed from old boards, as in the case with the Rick Turner's Stanford fence. I'm sure it's not the case for all makers, especially the larger production companies. But it is possible to find non-sinker redwood that has minimal environmental impact, which I bet most . Sort of like the milo that gets used for ukes, and to another extreme, fossil ivories.

As a side note, when I sold my custom concert that had a giant sequoia redwood top, I had one person email me and demand that I remove the listing because I was selling "an illegal uke made from illegally harvested wood from a protected species." It took a lot of explaining to make the guy realize that the wood was reclaim, and that there are environmentally friendly ways to obtain wood like this.

-Steve

-Steve

I know some sub-species of redwood are endangered; It has been cultivated in many parts of China and the USA. Redwood is pretty common. I see it used in a lot of applications. I'm not suggesting you should cut down "General Sherman"; (drift)How many ukes could be made from that tree?(end drift). But I don't think redwood is in short supply generally.

Actually, I think a lot of redwood soundboards are cut from trees that were either felled by natural causes, or are reclaimed from old boards, as in the case with the Rick Turner's Stanford fence. I'm sure it's not the case for all makers, especially the larger production companies. But it is possible to find non-sinker redwood that has minimal environmental impact, which I bet most . Sort of like the milo that gets used for ukes, and to another extreme, fossil ivories.

As a side note, when I sold my custom concert that had a giant sequoia redwood top, I had one person email me and demand that I remove the listing because I was selling "an illegal uke made from illegally harvested wood from a protected species." It took a lot of explaining to make the guy realize that the wood was reclaim, and that there are environmentally friendly ways to obtain wood like this.

No arguments there, Steve. Reclaimed is, of course, also a great way to go :agree:

I would say that of all of ours, the redwood uke we have is the clearest in tone and note separation. That said, I reckon in the hands of a picker it would be fantastic. Me, I am a strummer and rarely play it because it needs to be strummed gently to sound right to my ears. Perfect for the wife

Top Bottom