Modern sopranos that are close to old Martins

westcoast

Reaction score
I was looking at getting something in the soprano size. I played a vintage Martin soprano at Gryphon a few months ago. It sounded great and it was a nice contrast from the tenor I have. I also liked that it was very lightweight, so I'm wondering if people have opinions on these ukes under ~$400:

In the all-laminates:
- the Kala Long Neck Soprano (KA-SLNG)

In the solid-top / laminate back/sides
- the Kala Long Neck Soprano, Solid Spruce (KA-SSLNG)
- the Cordoba 22S (solid spruce top, lam rosewood)

In the all solids:
- the Pono MS (mahogany)
- the Pono MGS (mango)
- the Koaloha Opio (sapele)

IMO, none of the ukes you listed are built like an old Martin. If you want to be around $400 look for a used Kiwaya KTS-4, David Newton, or Ken Timms (they've been going up in price). These three (and there are other options also) have the lightness and mahogany bark like an old Martin and some are built as replicas.

I may be the wrong person to offer advice. I keep thinking that I want a martin-esque soprano. I have owned 2 vintage martins and a Timms and ended up selling them all because I think I just don't love that tone. But in my opinion the Timms had by far the best feel and sound. It will probably cost you more like $500 or so to get if you can convince someone to sell one. But I think it was far better than the Martins yet still has that same style of sound.

For not a whole lot more you can buy a vintage Martin.

Mitch

This is definitely true. I obsessively watch vintage Martins on ebay, just because I like to torture myself. The 0 & 1 series models regularly go for £200-£300 (ebay UK conveniently converts the currency, even though many of them won't ship outside the US) which I believe is around $400.
Also, I think Ohana makes a 'Martin type' soprano, but I can't remember what the model's called.

I agree with dirtiestkid about the Timms Style 0. It's built to look and sound like a vintage Martin (which it does), but it's hassle-free and beautiful. I like it better than a Kiwaya KTS-4 that I before it.

I've had two solid-mahogany Pono sopranos (one a long time ago; one currently). They're a good choice and functional, and if you get a second, with the unfindable flaws, they're a super value. You'll be happy to have one—but they're not magical.

I have a Timms Style 0 that I likely will be rehoming soon to reallocate some funds.

Thanks, I looked at that thread but the $275 Martin was sold (and re-listed on ebay). I think if I bought a vintage uke I'd probably want to buy it in person at Gryphon or some other store just so I could see what it was like first. For a modern uke, I'd feel comfortable buying through HMS, of course.

dirtiestkidever: Interesting point about not liking the tone. I didn't play the Martin for very long so perhaps I'd feel similarly if I had more of a chance to sit with it.

GinnyT11: Thanks for the advice on the Ponos. I suppose ultimately I don't want to worry too taking the uke places, so maybe going with a modern uke is better.

Paul December: Yeah, I realized I could just go with a new Martin S1 and wait for it to become vintage :)

Martin SO is a nice uke , if you can find one . I play my SO more than my vintage Martins . They usually go for around $ 200 on Ebay.

Also, I think Ohana makes a 'Martin type' soprano, but I can't remember what the model's called.

Ohana SK-38. I have one and it's an outstanding instrument. I've never played any vintage Martins so I don't know how it compares. I do like mine a lot.

Last edited:
Ohana SK-38. I have one and it's an outstanding instrument. I've never played any vintage Martins so I don't know how it compares. I do like mine a lot.

Quoted for truth, justice and the American way.

I have a Loprinzi mahogany soprano that is really nice. Nice lean neck. Last time I looked, they had at Elderly and Spruce Tree. Might be worth a look.

Very happy with my SK-38, a forever uke at a good price.

a martin oxk may actually fit in this category as well. I've seen other reviews of the oxk claiming it has the most vintage sound of the new martins.

a martin oxk may actually fit in this category as well. I've seen other reviews of the oxk claiming it has the most vintage sound of the new martins.

Is there an online dealer that sells Martin ukes and does setups like HMS or Uke Republic?

I think Martin does a pretty good job of setting up their own ukes. I purchased mine off ebay, and it was great out of the gate. They use their own strings, which are awesome, the fret work is also very good, and action was I thought perfect.

I think Martin does a pretty good job of setting up their own ukes. I purchased mine off ebay, and it was great out of the gate. They use their own strings, which are awesome, the fret work is also very good, and action was I thought perfect.

Yep, the dealer I bought my 0XK from in the UK do proper set-ups, but they said they hardly ever have to touch the Martins.

Top Bottom