NUD: Mya-Moe Tenory Curly Myrtle

Recstar24

Reaction score
When MM had posted a few ukes for sale (no wait!), my UAS kicked in hard core and I picked up this beautiful tenor myrtle:

DSC_0375 (2).jpgDSC_0379 (2).jpgDSC_0381 (2).jpgDSC_0382.jpgDSC_0383.jpg

The craftsmanship is so darn perfect, just a wonderful high quality build. It is one of those things where once you grab it you just know it is quality. This is my first tenor, and I am adjusting pretty well! Some of the past tenors that I have played always felt like little monsters, and scared me away from approaching them, but I took a leap of faith with this MM and I am glad I did. It doesn't feel big at all, and seems to just fit into your arms and hands really well, even coming from playing only concerts.

Everything they say about a Mya-Moe and playability appears to be right on. It is so easy to go up and down the neck, plays like butter, with perfectly smooth fret ends. Dynamics are killer - you can play this thing very softly but it still retains its tone, but you can also really dig in and elicit a lot of sound without any of that "distortion" you sometimes get when you drive an instrument too hard. The intonation truly is perfect, and the tone is so consistent across strings and up and down the neck, nothing is boomy or thuddy or dull. One thing I noticed about the tone is that it is very consistent from the onset of the note, the "attack", through the body of the note, and ending with its decay - the tone of the instrument remains spot on.

I am a happy camper! Speaking of UAS stories, I've been playing since September and I have 2 customs with a 3rd coming on the way! (Les Stansell Walnut with Myrtle board,bridge, and binding). This is fun :)

Last edited:
That is a beautiful instrument, both in sound and in looks! Enjoy it, and may it carry you through to many happy days of uking :)

That's a beautiful uke that sounds good, too. Mya Moes have a radiused fretboard, right? Can you tell a huge difference?

I am thinking you fit right in here. September start and a second custom with a third one on the way, going for some kind of record are we, :cool: That is a very beautiful instrument and now the Cover Bridge has a big cousin to compete for your playing time with. Congratulations, you move fast young jedi knight. Me thinks the UAS force is strong in this one, yes :uhoh:

Very handsome 'uke! And given your pace of acquisition, let's call a spade, a spade. You are most definitely diagnosed with UAS. Welcome to the disease.

Congratulations! Makes me want one to go with my myrtle concert. :drool:

I enjoyed your playing. Hope to hear more.

Yeah, the uke is nice but I really enjoyed your playing. Keep it up.

Congratulations on a lovely looking- and sounding- instrument! I enjoyed your video very much.

That's a beautiful uke that sounds good, too. Mya Moes have a radiused fretboard, right? Can you tell a huge difference?

It does have a radiused fretboard - I would say I haven't had it long enough or played it enough to truly notice a difference. I will say the instrument itself is extremely easy to play, the proverbial "plays like butter" is definitely true; whether that is a result of the radius, the nicely carved neck, the string and fret wire spacing, the dressed fret ends, action, etc I couldn't say. My gut tells me there are tons of factors at play that create a certain synergy which gives the impression of the instrument being super easy and smooth to play.

I am thinking you fit right in here. September start and a second custom with a third one on the way, going for some kind of record are we, :cool: That is a very beautiful instrument and now the Cover Bridge has a big cousin to compete for your playing time with. Congratulations, you move fast young jedi knight. Me thinks the UAS force is strong in this one, yes :uhoh:

Very handsome 'uke! And given your pace of acquisition, let's call a spade, a spade. You are most definitely diagnosed with UAS. Welcome to the disease.

Ah, it feels good to be a part of the club. I love this place because rather than making me feel guilty, simply feed and help affirm my addiction. Cheers :)

Congratulations! Makes me want one to go with my myrtle concert. :drool:

I enjoyed your playing. Hope to hear more.

Yeah, the uke is nice but I really enjoyed your playing. Keep it up.

Congratulations on a lovely looking- and sounding- instrument! I enjoyed your video very much.

Thank you! I'm humbled - so many great players here, it feels good to be able to contribute.

No, really. You are showing me that I need to work on improving some of The Ukulele Way exercises. I get some of them down, to a degree, then move on but you are playing them really well. I see I can keep working on these. Please keep posting progress pieces like this. I like learning with another student that is also a teacher.

Beautiful ukulele, myrtle is an excellent tone wood, but your Uke really shines, congratulations!

No, really. You are showing me that I need to work on improving some of The Ukulele Way exercises. I get some of them down, to a degree, then move on but you are playing them really well. I see I can keep working on these. Please keep posting progress pieces like this. I like learning with another student that is also a teacher.

Feel free to send a PM if you ever have any questions! You can also post on james hills forum and I can answer stuff through there.

Keep on drinking the Mya Moe Koolaid, you'll never regret it. I haven't.

Top Bottom