Pass it on Guitar Center & Musicians Friend is Having Sale

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I know because I get 5 - 7 e-mails a day from them letting me know about the pre-after-end of-special-yada yada yada sale. Except for the Stupid Deal of The Day the prices look like their normal prices. Maybe I am just irritated with the constant barrage.

What is the easiest way to unscribe? I have been unsuccessful so far.

A GC asst. manager once told me that GC and MF are owned by the same corporation. Have never checked it out, but the product lines and prices seem to give that credence.

In almost every situation, the best way to opt-out is to click the opt out link on emails like that (typically at the bottom).

I know people get suspicious that doing so will somehow create more spam. But with legitimate companies, this just isn't true. I have worked for multiple large companies with mailing lists and newsletters and notification systems, and every one has had honest working opt-out systems. Most advertising and newsletter email costs are based on the number of emails sent, so it is in a company's best interest to get rid of people who don't want to read them. In addition, they would much rather you opt-out than to start reporting their emails as spam. Which can bring a lot of other issues for them.

A GC asst. manager once told me that GC and MF are owned by the same corporation. Have never checked it out, but the product lines and prices seem to give that credence.

This is absolutely true. GC bought MF in 99 or so.

I don't get e-mail from them, but they are constantly showing ads on my yahoo mail whenever I open any e-mail I see an ad for a $49 mandolin.

I have gone to look at the sale, but I am not sure how to search ukuleles on sale. It seems I have to scroll thru all of their regular "gear". If I search ukes I see their regular pricing.

I have also heard that GC and Musician's friend are owned by the same company, one advantage if this is true is if you order from a state that has a guitar center store you will likely be charged sales tax on your purchase, if you order from Musician's friend you can usually avoid that sales tax. (and get much better customer service after the sale is made) on the other hand I don't care for GC because often they seem to get models that are not available at any other store and offer price matching when the same model is not available anywhere else, the difference may only be the color of tuners.

Last edited:
I looked it up,
Mitt Romney's Bain Capitol owns Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries Incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central.

I know for sure music123 and Musicians friend share customer service and ship out of the same warehouses.

I'd just send an email to Mitt.

In almost every situation, the best way to opt-out is to click the opt out link on emails like that (typically at the bottom).

I know people get suspicious that doing so will somehow create more spam. But with legitimate companies, this just isn't true.

The problem is that illegitimate companies will phish with an email spam ad that looks exactly like it is from (put name of any legitimate company here), and when one "unsubscribes", thus confirming the phished email address as "working", one gets pummeled on spam lists and with viruses.

Keep your suspicion up.

The problem is that illegitimate companies will phish with an email spam ad that looks exactly like it is from (put name of any legitimate company here), and when one "unsubscribes", thus confirming the phished email address as "working", one gets pummeled on spam lists and with viruses.

Keep your suspicion up.

Suspicion is always good. Too much is better than too little. But I promise that this just doesn't happen all that often particularly with major companies. Any email server worth it's salt can stop spoofed email most all of the time. Now, if one is letting unfiltered email into their inbox, or clicking on links from random emails, I don't know what to tell them. But I haven't seen a spoofed email in my gmail inbox in years.

The MF opt out goes to a subdomain of musiciansfriend.com. That sort of thing would be virtually impossible to spoof. In addition, for anyone feeling really cautious, there's this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/subscriptions

Finally, if this sort of stuff honestly worries anyone, then you should be using a junk email address. I have one that I use for all purchasing/social media/notifications/etc. Another for professional stuff, and a third for personal communication.

Top Bottom