Advice on another uke for me (banjo, soprano, baritone...?)

Photojosh

Reaction score
Howdy all. Long rambling "what to buy" thread on a lazy saturday morning.

I've been a ukelele player for a while now. But the arrival of my boys kind of knocked most hobbies to the sideline for a while, uke included. As they kids have gotten a bit older, I've had more time to do some of the stuff I enjoy and have been picking up my ukuleles a bit more often.

Thinking about getting something new. I have a Koaloha Concert that I love, a Beltona resonator that I love almost as much, flea/fluke, and an older Bushman Jenny tenor that I can never decide if I click with or not.

So, I'm thinking....

-Banjo uke?

As with the resonator sound, I like the banjo uke sound a lot. I'm not trying to fight my way through other instruments, so I don't need a canon or anything. Thus, I was thinking Firefly. People seem to love them and the light weight with the slightly more mellow banjo sound might be nice. That having been said, I keep thinking that I could just buy a remo hand drum and a castoff neck and make one myself. Would I actually get around to that? Who knows? The little $200 6" Asian clones (Eddy Finn, Recording King, etc) seem like decent deals. I even saw a Rally for $120 on ebay. Also strummed the 8" Kala in my local shop and it sounded nice.

-Nice sporano?

My first decent uke was one of those Hamano Martin soprano clones. It was nice for the time, but since the boom started, the higher end Asian ukes have improved a lot in my opinion. I sold it because I wanted to put the money towards other instruments. But now I find myself wanting that classic ukulele sound. Probably wouldn't go expensive high end on this, as I'm still not sure that soprano is anything but a pleasant distraction for me. But maybe something from Opio or Pono or Mainland or....? I'm thinking mahogany just for the classic style. But I'm not tied to that.

-Baritone

I had a cheap baritone a long time ago and got rid of it. I'm not sure what I didn't like about it. Not "ukulele" enough maybe? But I strummed on one the other day at the music store and though I liked the sound. Having had a tenor guitar for a few years may have changed my appreciation of the baritone. Would mostly be a strummer for me I think. Campfire song style.

-Something else entirely?

Open to ideas. I'm sort of waiting for opio to come out with a tenor. Tenor and I have sort of an on-again off-again relationship. But one tenor I am in love with is a friends Koaloha. Hoping that an opio tenor would get the same favorable reviews as their other offerings. I like the idea of 6 and 8 string ukes, but I've never really like the reality of playing them. It always ends up on my list of things to try again someday. I've been thinking a spruce or ceder of some sort might be nice to try, just to be different from the more classic Koa of my Koaloha. I have a stew mac tenor kit in my shop waiting to be built. Not sure it really settles UAS, but it's something I want to find time for. And finally, someday, I'd like a concert uke built out of woods from my native state of WA (or at least from the PNW). But I suspect I'm either going to have to learn to build decent ukuleles or come up with a decent chunk of change to pay a builder.

Last edited:
Last edited:
One thought, if you haven't tried Living Waters on that Jenny, do...... "Transformed" my son's.

If you are tempted to get a 6 string, try this one and install Southcoast strings of your choice on it. They will let you know which set will give you the sound you want. I have them on my Pono 6 string.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?103745-Mele-Braddah-6-String-Tenor-Deluxe-Ukulele

I'm absolutely going to work on a better string pairing for the Jenny. That's part of the reason (and the possibility of a future Opio Tenor) that I don't have "new tenor" listed on there as anything but a brainstorm at the end. Living Waters are on the top of my list, just sort of hard to come by.

I think my interest in 6 and 8 string ukes will probably have to wait until I have some time to mess around with one and make sure that they are what I want. Maybe I'll run into someone at a club or workshop that I can get some time with.

I too was looking for something a bit different to add to my collection. Recently got a solid cedar top / rosewood longneck soprano pineapple from Mainland. LOVE it! Very well made, great looking, and very well set up. $250 bucks ... great price on a great lil uke! Plays like a dream. Something to consider.

-Something else entirely?

Have you thought about a bass?

Sometimes the sound of ukulele becomes grating to my ears, and I want to hear something else for a change.

There's a Gold Tone MicroBass sitting next to me, and I pick that up and play along with a wide variety of tracks in my iTunes library. That's when I know my wife will be calling me to bed as sense of time goes out the window...

Have you thought about a bass?

Sometimes the sound of ukulele becomes grating to my ears, and I want to hear something else for a change.

There's a Gold Tone MicroBass sitting next to me, and I pick that up and play along with a wide variety of tracks in my iTunes library. That's when I know my wife will be calling me to bed as sense of time goes out the window...

Those are nifty looking, and I've wondered if I'd like one. But I have never even been in the same room with one. Would be kind of a leap for me I think without even trying one. Still, probably worth listening and researching a bit.

I too was looking for something a bit different to add to my collection. Recently got a solid cedar top / rosewood longneck soprano pineapple from Mainland. LOVE it! Very well made, great looking, and very well set up. $250 bucks ... great price on a great lil uke! Plays like a dream. Something to consider.

I've always liked the pineapple shape (and for that matter "bell" shape) bodies. Never tried a longneck soprano, but that might be a neat mix of body and room on the neck.

Those are nifty looking, and I've wondered if I'd like one. But I have never even been in the same room with one. Would be kind of a leap for me I think without even trying one. Still, probably worth listening and researching a bit.

It is a bit of a different mindset to play, but being tuned in 4ths makes it an easy jump from uke or guitar, technically.

I've always liked the pineapple shape (and for that matter "bell" shape) bodies. Never tried a longneck soprano, but that might be a neat mix of body and room on the neck.

YES! I tried a soprano for a while and sometimes the fret spacing was just a smidge tight ... for me. I love the concert scale neck (even better than my tenor...and I'm a guitar player so go figure) I also play mandolin and the concert scale seems very close to spacing on a mandolin. Longneck soprano pineapple ... I thought it sounded like a cool instrument ... AND IT IS! I played an open mic in Portland Thursday and used it on a solo, original song and my buddies were like "whoa! that lil guy puts out some sound!" And, visually, it rocks. So many options to consider. Have fun with it!

You could to totally new. On a whim I got a Wishnevsky resonator something. The instruments (I have 2 now) sound great but the build is sloppy because he just builds 'em out of local woods and doesn't care much if there are oddities about it. You save loads on the price! Here I am playing the Wish resonator. I just got my Tenor Wish Guitar.

As to the local woods option, have you considered Covered Bridge, out of Cottage Grove, OR? It may be more affordable than you think.

As to the local woods option, have you considered Covered Bridge, out of Cottage Grove, OR? It may be more affordable than you think.

On my list to get a hold of Covered Bridge at some point, for sure. Though I admit I haven't yet and I have no idea what kind of price range I'd be looking at.

Top Bottom