I blame all you people!

strongergodzilla

Reaction score
You made my tax return come and go like the wind.

All of you guys who have awesome ukuleles...this is your fault. I just HAD to buy a pono, I had no choice! I ordered a Kala tenor uke, it ended up being a dud electronically, so im returning. Opportunity knocking so loudly at my door, I dropped a bit more cash and decided to get a pono pte as my replacement. I read too many good things, and figured hey, I guess I wont have to upgrade any time soon (yeah right:rolleyes:). It should be here on Tuesday, which seems an eternity away now.

Anyone however that had questions about the acoustic properties of the new kala's with spruce and maple, its just as described. Very good projection, bright tone, and pretty to boot. I ordered from MGM who got it here in 2 days ! It was packed very nicely, the box it came in was stuffed with bubble wrap and filler paper, inside the hardshell case the uke had protective lining anywhere it could have gotten damaged along the way, if anyone had doubts about ordering and shipping overseas, it was packed extremely well. I ordered the Pono through him as well!

So thanks a lot UU, you made my UAS kick into high gear! I really mean thanks though, ive been having a blast with the uke haha

-strongergodzilla

pono-pt2.jpg

pono-pt3.jpg

pono-pt5.jpg

You made my tax return come and go like the wind.

All of you guys who have awesome ukuleles...this is your fault. I just HAD to buy a pono, I had no choice! I ordered a Kala tenor uke, it ended up being a dud electronically, so im returning. Opportunity knocking so loudly at my door, I dropped a bit more cash and decided to get a pono pte as my replacement. I read too many good things, and figured hey, I guess I wont have to upgrade any time soon (yeah right:rolleyes:). It should be here on Tuesday, which seems an eternity away now.

Anyone however that had questions about the acoustic properties of the new kala's with spruce and maple, its just as described. Very good projection, bright tone, and pretty to boot. I ordered from MGM who got it here in 2 days ! It was packed very nicely, the box it came in was stuffed with bubble wrap and filler paper, inside the hardshell case the uke had protective lining anywhere it could have gotten damaged along the way, if anyone had doubts about ordering and shipping overseas, it was packed extremely well. I ordered the Pono through him as well!

So thanks a lot UU, you made my UAS kick into high gear! I really mean thanks though, ive been having a blast with the uke haha

-strongergodzilla

pono-pt2.jpg

pono-pt3.jpg

pono-pt5.jpg

I have the same uke! Congrats. I love mine. I strung it up with D'Addario J71s which sound better than the Aquilas did... Hope that helps...enjoy.

haha awesome! I ordered some of those j71s in the mail, because I like all nylon strings, the wound c was getting on my nerves. I got some ko'olau golds all nylon to put on, and after they have had their run, im gonna try the j71s!

p.s. way to give me UAS for pono's! dont forget this is partly your fault! ;)

ok, its official... i have the worst uke on this board, which means!!!!!!! even though im only on part time i get all my tax back (roughly $500) i will buy a new uke!!

:D :D

ok, its official... i have the worst uke on this board, which means!!!!!!! even though im only on part time i get all my tax back (roughly $500) i will buy a new uke!!

:D :D

Did you not see my uke when we were doing the contest drawing? hehehe.

Well..

Well... I have (had?) a freak of nature off-brand 'Lark'.. however, the bridge snapped off when I tuned it up to ADF#B once, and it hasn't been sounding as nice since I fixed it... so I ended up buying myself a nicer one...

But still, a uke that a bridge snaps before a nylon string breaks is pretty sad...

Edit: I"d accidentally said it was a lankai.. no, that'd have been good. It was a lark...

Last edited:
Well... I have (had?) a freak of nature off-brand 'Lankai'.. however, the bridge snapped off when I tuned it up to ADF#B once, and it hasn't been sounding as nice since I fixed it... so I ended up buying myself a nicer one...

But still, a uke that a bridge snaps before a nylon string breaks is pretty sad...

wow thats ridiculous

That it was

That was my thought exactly..., well, not exactly, other things came across my mind, but that was the gist of it... of course, the thing had cost me less than a dollar at a garage sale and it is what started my obsession with ukuleles, so it served its purpose.

Edit: also, I noticed I"d called it a lankai. It was a lark... hence the off-brandishenss.

Last edited:
I picked the Kanile'a over the Pono in the end but was good either way. You will not be dissappointed. I'm sure we have all blown the IRS check on worst things.

the man speaks the truth!

AMEN! You wanna know how fo get clearance fo get one betta ukulele? Try playing on Johnson soprano w/ stock strings fo a couple of years. It really got on my wife's nerves. ha ha ha. den she said I could go get one Pono :)

Eh strongergodzilla! Congrats on da ukulele! have fun wit um eh!

Haha

Heh... this talk about my old uke made me feel like taking another shot at fixing the poor thing up. Managed to reattach the bridge, lower the action (it was well over a quarter of an inch at the 12 fret... it was horrible), file down the frets (they were murder on the strings and fingers), and fix the loose pegs (plumber's tape is your friend).

So now I have a knock around ukulele... fun.

And yeah... congrats on your uke... I think I forgot to say that earlier.

thank you! guess what! it doesnt stop there, you might pick up another one in 6 months. its like a drug! hahahahahaha. congrats!

hahahahah

I dunno, Ryan. My $30 Hilo is pretty gross. =P

priceless...i moved up from a 30 dollar makala. but i cant tell you how much fun it is to pick up that very first uke that you had. thats where it all started for me and i will never forget the makala. its like my child kinda.

Top Bottom