Do you have a Pono? If so, could you please check something for me?

spookelele

Reaction score
Is the nut supposed to be level or slanted? Ie, is the slot that the nut sits in cut to the same depth on both sides?

My nut is installed lower on the A string than on the G string. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing defect, or by design since it's due to the channel that's routed out for the nut being cut that way.

If you have a Pono, could you check for me? I thought the neck was twisted, but it seems it's just the nut is installed at a slant. Thanks in advance.

LR_Uneven.jpg

My RTSHC-PCS is the same. It's a radius fretboard. Is your's radius as well?

I don't think it's radius'd. It's an ATD, not one of the fancier ones.
The nut is straight, it's just installed at a slant.

The nut on my Pono Tenor is even for all strings and no slant. I would think it's a defect.
Bill

some nuts come rounded on the top side on some ukes, it's just a beauty thing ....what is most important is the cut angle in the grooves of the nut and depth...

Last edited:
I really don't see anything wrong with the picture. Different ukes come with different nuts and dimensions... some are slanted, some are straight. It would have been evened out at the nut slots upon the final setup.

Whatever it is you are seeing, it's probably not adversely affecting the playability.

Nut slots are filed at different depths to accommodate for the difference in thickness of strings. If the G slot is a bit higher than the A slot, that's not unusual for a lot of ukulele manufacturers. It gives you the option of installing low-G later on without adversely affecting how a high-G string works in the meantime

I believe he's talking about the slot on the headstock, in which the nut lies. In the photos, you can see the difference on each side. Looks like that is part of the design...but I'd call 'em to confirm.

Normally it should be even, I can see that one side has a deeper cut and the other none. . Cosmetically looks off but I dont think itit does anything to your ukulele as long as they slotted the string slots evenly with the other strings, basically a final setup.. I can make a crooked nut but cut the slots evenly so wont matter how crooked it will be to an extent. Imo.

is the slot that the nut sits in cut to the same depth on both sides?

it is even on both sides of my AT

I believe he's talking about the slot on the headstock, in which the nut lies. In the photos, you can see the difference on each side. Looks like that is part of the design...but I'd call 'em to confirm.

Agree. Suggest calling and emailing the seller and Pono. Be sure to include the photos in the email.

You may want to return the uke. With your previous thread and now the nut issue; you may not ever feel confident with the uke.

That's kinda why I'm asking.

I ended up taking the uke to a string tech to have it checked out. Most of the buzzing is resolved now. The truss rod had no tension on it, and part of the buzzing was because it was loose. It was turned until the 2-way truss grabbed tension and a small bow was induced, and now the buzzes are pretty much gone.

When I asked about the twist, he sighted from the butt end and said there wasn't a twist, so then I asked about why the nut didn't align with the body. That's when he pointed out that the slot cut for the nut was cut at an angle, making the nut sit at an angle. He wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way or not. They don't sell pono at that store and they were not familiar with them.

Does if affect the sound of the ukulele?

That's a good question that I'm not sure of.

I had buzzing that was mostly resolved by making the neck bow with the truss rod. I'm not sure if I have to bow it more than "normal" because of this nut thing, but bowing it raises the action everywhere, which requires more force and I would think require cleaner fingering with more pressure to avoid buzz from bad fingering. More pressure sharps notes in theory.

Purely speaking does it affect the sound? probably not so much.
But I feel like it affects how it plays. I'm not sure if different is worse or just different.

At someone's suggestion, I've emailed Pono to see what they think.

I'd say the same - wouldnt bother me IF the uke plays ok.

How is intonation at lower frets?

I'd say the same - wouldnt bother me IF the uke plays ok.

How is intonation at lower frets?

Intonation is close at 12th. Maybe 1 bar off on a snark tuner which I know is not the most accurate but I dont have a strobe so that's what I've got and I dont have perfect pitch.

It plays ok I think, but I'm not a pro player and my only reference is a Kala teme3.

That's a good question that I'm not sure of.

I had buzzing that was mostly resolved by making the neck bow with the truss rod. I'm not sure if I have to bow it more than "normal" because of this nut thing, but bowing it raises the action everywhere, which requires more force and I would think require cleaner fingering with more pressure to avoid buzz from bad fingering. More pressure sharps notes in theory.

Purely speaking does it affect the sound? probably not so much.
But I feel like it affects how it plays. I'm not sure if different is worse or just different.

At someone's suggestion, I've emailed Pono to see what they think.
Did you buy this uke direct from hms, if the action is high it may be affecting playability and comfort
How is the intonation on open strings and at the 12th fret?

Normally it should be even, I can see that one side has a deeper cut and the other none. . Cosmetically looks off but I dont think itit does anything to your ukulele as long as they slotted the string slots evenly with the other strings, basically a final setup.. I can make a crooked nut but cut the slots evenly so wont matter how crooked it will be to an extent. Imo.

I agree with this

I sent the pic to John Kitakis and got a pretty fast response.

--------------------------------------------
"aloha Walt, I'm glad the truss rod worked. We designed it with the rod so the instrument could be adjusted when humidity issues are involved.
I did look at the photo of the neck that was forwarded from Armando. And I did not see that the neck was warped or twisted.
On occasion the nut is not set perfectly. But our instruments are hand crafted, so nothing will be perfect, but as close as possible to excellent playing condition.

After the making of each Pono we have several inspections to insure that each instrument is correct. On occasion, after the instrument has been in a new environment, it may go through changes,
but again, this is why we installed the truss rod. And also, why we have our dealers advise their customers to use adequate humidification, namely a humidifier installed in the case and in the instrument when not in use.

anyway, your ukulele seems to be doing well. And hopefully sounds great. We strive to be one of the highest quality ukulele makers. And appreciate customers like you.
------------------------------

So, he sounds like he doesn't think its something to be too concerned about, and others have also said it's not something to worry too much about, so I think I'm going to stop stressing about it.

Top Bottom