Travel durability without gig bag: Outdoor Uke, Flea, Laminate, HPL/0xk

westcoast

Reaction score
I'm looking for a travel uke. I used to have a Kala Travel Soprano that had a solid spruce top and it sounded great; it was just a little head heavy and the top was thin so it seemed a little fragile.

I traded that for an Outdoor Uke which is very durable. When I travel I just put it in my backpack without a gig bag and never worry about it.

I'm interested in seeing if I can get an almost-as-durable instrument, but with a different tone.

I was wondering if people have experiences with transporting Fleas, Laminate ukes (like the KA-S, KA-SEM, KA-SLNG), or the Martin 0xk without a gig bag (just sticking it in a suitcase or backpack). What was your experience?

In order of ruggedness, my guess would be from most rugged to least:
1) Outdoor Uke (or other plastic ukuleles)
2) Flea / Dolphin (half plastic)
3) Tossup between 0xk and laminate
4) Solid-top / laminate back/sides
5) Solid-top / solid back/sides

The laminates on the KA-S series are pretty thin. I wouldn't trust them to get knocked around like that without damage.

I also wouldn't trust a solid-top anything in an outdoor environment.

An all-metal resonator uke would be ideal, if scratches won't bother you.

I keep a concert Flea in my car that gets below zero in winter and above 100 in summer. It survives. I traveled with it to Australia for 3 weeks just stuffing it in my carry-on. It did ok until the bag got sideways in the X-ray machine, a tuner snagged on the side and broke off. That could have happened to any uke. Flea Market Music sent me a replacement tuner at no charge and installation was a breeze.

I have a Clara. It's durable, but precious. I'm not sure I'd travel with it just stuffed in a backpack.

The laminates on the KA-S series are pretty thin. I wouldn't trust them to get knocked around like that without damage.

I also wouldn't trust a solid-top anything in an outdoor environment.

An all-metal resonator uke would be ideal, if scratches won't bother you.

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't really thinking about hiking or camping with the uke, but when I took a plane trip somewhere for work.

I keep a concert Flea in my car that gets below zero in winter and above 100 in summer. It survives. I traveled with it to Australia for 3 weeks just stuffing it in my carry-on. It did ok until the bag got sideways in the X-ray machine, a tuner snagged on the side and broke off. That could have happened to any uke. Flea Market Music sent me a replacement tuner at no charge and installation was a breeze.

I have a Clara. It's durable, but precious. I'm not sure I'd travel with it just stuffed in a backpack.

Thanks - so one vote for a Flea - did you buy it online directly from Flea Market Music? I guess the intonation is fine since the bridge/nut/fretboard are plastic?

Last edited:
I've got a flea, a fluke, and an Eleuke/Bugsgear Aqulele (all plastic). Each do fine as knockabout ukes. Soundwise, the flea/fluke beat the eleuke. Though I suspect if I would give some other strings a try, the eleuke might come into it's own. If I had to pick one I'd probably pick flea.

Last edited:
I'd take a Flea over an Outdoor every time because the sound so much better and play better too. In fact I would take most ukes over an outdoor but that is a whole other gripe...

Thanks - so one vote for a Flea - did you buy it online directly from Flea Market Music? I guess the intonation is fine since the bridge/nut/fretboard are plastic?

I got mine from Tiki King. His price was a little lower than FMM but FMM actually filled the order. Weird huh? Just for grins I tuned it up this morning. After a year and a half in my car it seems fine.

When I won a uke in Holland last October, I needed to get it home on a plane so I put in my (heavily padded) gigbag and put my Flea in my suitcase. It was just laid on top and came home no problems. Everything went as cabin baggage, no problems. Not as rigorous a test as PereBourik above, but I was confident it would survive the trip home by Train and plane.

I have a Korala explore (all plastic) that lives in the boot of my car. I have no qualms about leaving it there.

There is nowhere I wouldn't take my Flea, with or without a case.

Scooter

Another thought. If you are taking a trip where the amount of stuff you carry is important, a Flea has a smaller body than a wooden uke, especially longer scale lengths.

I have two Fleas and wouldn't hesitate to take them anywhere. In fact, one went with me to Hawaii a while back and I'm planning to take the other, soprano scale, on a Europe tour this summer. One more vote for Flea!

I have two Fleas and wouldn't hesitate to take them anywhere. In fact, one went with me to Hawaii a while back and I'm planning to take the other, soprano scale, on a Europe tour this summer. One more vote for Flea!

Do you have the plastic fretboard models? If so, what do you think of them from a longevity/wear standpoint?

I bought my OXK as a travel ukulele in addition to its main use for me as a play-while-huddling-next-to-a-space-heater-all-winter ukulele.

Took it on a trip in single digit weather a couple of weeks ago. I as was mildly disappointed that the top two tuners had a tendency to back off and twirl freely like the washers had contracted. I had to tighten the little screws several times.

So while the OXK is a great travel ukulele for hot and humid weather, I am back to my First Act ukulele as a cold weather traveler. It can be stuffed in various nooks and crannies without a care. I don't even have a case for it. And it is very thin, too. 20"L x 6.5"W x 1.75"H

Last edited:
I as was mildly disappointed that the top two tuners had a tendency to back off and twirl freely like the washers had contracted

Probably caused by the pegs shrinking more than the headstock. It happens to my violin as well in cold weather.

Do you have the plastic fretboard models? If so, what do you think of them from a longevity/wear standpoint?

This might become an issue after years of play unless you use a wound strings. They are very clear that the plastic fretboard is intended for monofilament strings. They also offer fretboard replacement service.

Another thought. If you are taking a trip where the amount of stuff you carry is important, a Flea has a smaller body than a wooden uke, especially longer scale lengths.

Thanks, that's a good point. In general I try to travel with just carryon luggage so I definitely want to keep things as small as possible. So I'm wondering about the dimensions of soprano vs. concert:

I looked up the stats for Martin ukes: http://www.martinguitar.com/featuresmaterials/featuresmaterials/sizetype.html and the Flea/Fluke: http://www.magicfluke.com/category-s/1830.htm

The Flea Soprano has 6.75" width, 20.5" length, 2.75" depth
The Martin Soprano has 6 3/8" width, 21" length, 2 5/16"

The Flea Concert has 6.75" width, 22.75" length, 2.75" depth
The Martin Concert has 7 5/8" width, 23 1/4" length, 2.75" depth

Looks like overall a Flea concert is going to be a little smaller than a regular concert.

The Flea Soprano has 6.75" width, 20.5" length, 2.75" depth
The Martin Soprano has 6 3/8" width, 21" length, 2 5/16"

The Flea Concert has 6.75" width, 22.75" length, 2.75" depth
The Martin Concert has 7 5/8" width, 23 1/4" length, 2.75" depth

Looks like overall a Flea concert is going to be a little smaller than a regular concert.

Well, if size is the primary concern, have you looked at this?

Folding Ukulele - 9" Max Length

Top Bottom