Self Page Turning Device bluetooth with IPAD

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
My husband asked me what I would like for my birthday. I remember reading it somewhere in the forum about a device that is connected to Ipad using your foot to turn sheet music.
Does anyone have suggestion or website I can visit ? I think that particular post started a while ago. May be there is something new on the market ? Thank you for your help and recommendation.

I have the AirTurn 105 and I think it's a must have for a tablet to play music.

I have the 4-pedal AirTurn. I have not been using it very long, but I like it. I use it primarily with OnSong. I like having the 4 pedals, which can be assigned different tasks, like turning pages back and forward, starting backing tracks (or songs from your iTunes to practice with), advancing through a set list, etc.

While OnSong already includes autoscroll, the pedals give you more control if there is an interruption in the flow of a song, which always seems to happen when I play with a small group. The pedals are not cheap, but think it is worth it for live performance.

I use the Cicada PageFlip for my church services as well as musical theatre performances. For me, having the ability to plug the unit in - in addition to battery power - was vital. I use it in ForScore and SongWriter ChordPro and it works well.

I don't think the AirTurn was available when I was looking originally.

I have decided this device may not work for me. I use a mini IPad therefore the screen is not full size . I zoom in one section at a time. I don't think the turning device know how to scroll down. However, It should work on the IMAC . It just that I don't really want to sit in the same computer chair 24/7.
I will store this thread for future reference when I have a full size IPAD Air . Thanks

I have decided this device may not work for me. I use a mini IPad therefore the screen is not full size . I zoom in one section at a time. I don't think the turning device know how to scroll down. However, It should work on the IMAC . It just that I don't really want to sit in the same computer chair 24/7.
I will store this thread for future reference when I have a full size IPAD Air . Thanks

In OnSong you can scroll down/up with the footpedals, so if that is what you want that combination could
still work for you.

I have used my AirTurn with an iPad and both OnSong and For Score, it works in either direction. But because I found the 9.7" screen too small, I bought a Hannspree 13.3" 1280x800 Android tablet for $199 that is also Bluetooth and works with AirTurn. I'm very happy now with the larger screen.

Oh my gosh things we do just to turn page. Beethoven must be rolling his eyes . Ha ha

Oh my gosh things we do just to turn page. Beethoven must be rolling his eyes . Ha ha

Ha! made me laugh.

I use plain old-fashioned paper and pencil mostly. Many of the people I play with have the iPad/AirTurn combo, but I've seen far too many things go wrong to be tempted by gadgetry. The Bluetooth connection goes wonky or the pages turn too fast or whatever... the last time one of my groups performed, most of the iPad users switched to paper for the performance "in case" things went amiss. To me, it's not a perfect technology yet.

Most of the professional musicians I know don't bother with iPadsfor performing - if they need a chart, they use a paper chart. It seems "gadgets" are far more common among amateurs, and I'm wondering if part of this is that when one is starting out playing an instrument, there's this enthusiasm to get lots of "stuff" related to it.

Most of the professional musicians I know don't bother with iPadsfor performing - if they need a chart, they use a paper chart. It seems "gadgets" are far more common among amateurs, and I'm wondering if part of this is that when one is starting out playing an instrument, there's this enthusiasm to get lots of "stuff" related to it.

Actually, a lot of the professional Broadway tours are all on iPads now, or digital tablets of some kind (I've been using the iPad in theatre pits for years now, with no problems whatsoever). There have been PDF readers like this for years that many professionals use, so it's not a new thing, or a gimmick.

I think you see more starting musicians use it because they probably already have one, and figure "If I can get some apps, why not?"

Actually, a lot of the professional Broadway tours are all on iPads now, or digital tablets of some kind (I've been using the iPad in theatre pits for years now, with no problems whatsoever). There have been PDF readers like this for years that many professionals use, so it's not a new thing, or a gimmick.

I think you see more starting musicians use it because they probably already have one, and figure "If I can get some apps, why not?"

Could be, that makes sense. (And also accounts for why I don't already have a tablet; with three computers for work and an iPhone, it just seems redundant!)

Broadway tours aren't something I'm familiar with; I'm used to mostly seeing two types of professionals: either gigging musicians who don't rely on the printed (or pixeled) page at all, or classical musicians who use paper scores. I don't get out to classical performances nearly as often as I like, but when I have, I've never seen tablets used, always paper.

Could be, that makes sense. (And also accounts for why I don't already have a tablet; with three computers for work and an iPhone, it just seems redundant!)

Ha! Yes!!!!

Broadway tours aren't something I'm familiar with; I'm used to mostly seeing two types of professionals: either gigging musicians who don't rely on the printed (or pixeled) page at all, or classical musicians who use paper scores. I don't get out to classical performances nearly as often as I like, but when I have, I've never seen tablets used, always paper.

I don't think the classical world has accepted the digital score nearly as much as everyone else in the the realm of professional musicians (and this is coming from a classically trained musician), among other things.

Top Bottom