Yamaha THR5A amp

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
I just purchased this little amp yesterday and at first blush WOW, I have a Roland AC33 which I like but this new Yamaha is 1/4 th size so it will go in my suitcase when I travel. It seems to really pack a punch to, we'll see what it works like on batteries.
Now I get to spend the day screwing with the buttons and finding the sound I like.

I just purchased this little amp yesterday and at first blush WOW, I have a Roland AC33 which I like but this new Yamaha is 1/4 th size so it will go in my suitcase when I travel. It seems to really pack a punch to, we'll see what it works like on batteries.
Now I get to spend the day screwing with the buttons and finding the sound I like.

I got the THR10A for crimbo with an Epiphone Les Paul Electro Acoustic.......wow ?.......WOW ? ...WOW will just not do it ...This little beggar is fandabbydootastic......and I love the little Orange glow...I call it The Toaster...

Have fun.

I got the THR10A for crimbo with an Epiphone Les Paul Electro Acoustic.......wow ?.......WOW ? ...WOW will just not do it ...This little beggar is fandabbydootastic......and I love the little Orange glow...I call it The Toaster...

Have fun.

Funny, this early this I left the lights in my music room low and played to the ambiance of the orange glow and thought it's just like a toaster as well.

Interesting - been jonesing for one of these for some time - and I too use the AC33.

Only gripe I heard was the build quality on switches - I believe Gerald Ross (as mentioned above) knocked the power switch off and it wasn't straightforward to replace.

Interesting - been jonesing for one of these for some time - and I too use the AC33.

Only gripe I heard was the build quality on switches - I believe Gerald Ross (as mentioned above) knocked the power switch off and it wasn't straightforward to replace.

These are great little amps.

The power switch is a small mini-switch. I wouldn't call it flimsy but it probably wouldn't stand up to much blunt force but then again, neither would I.

I love my THR10.

He must have been going some ..it's a metal switch...:eek:

you could drill the metal casing to take a bigger diameter switch if worst happened ....I think the other knobs are quite substantial....it is not as robust as a big amp...but not designed to be treated like one either ...more of a portable radio sort of construction...and only about as heavy too ...:worship:

Yes it came loose - trouble was with the way it was attached inside as part of a bigger circuit I believe.

Just repeating what I heard, not personal experience.

I don't yet have an amp for my A/E ukes (unless you count a Honeytone ;)), but I've been debating between the THR5A and the Roland AC33—fortunately, not a decision I need to make immanently. I'd really like the modeling of the former, but for gigging I'd want the power and separate mic channel (with XLR input) of the latter. Why does Yamaha not make an amp with the capabilities of both? Do they intend that one should feed the modeling amp into a PA or bigger amp with separate channels?

♫ Chestnuts roasting by the toaster amp… ♫

I have a little baby 4 channel Micro Mixer ....I'll hook it all up and then feed into a bigger amp and let you know ...

The beauty of the mixer and the amp is that they both run on batteries as well.

Well I now have a full day of playing on it and I must say that I like the sound of it much better than my Roland. The combo I am using is a Collings UT2 mahogany, Livings Waters strings (low g), a Schertler pick up and now the Yamaha Amp. I found a setting that has beautiful acoustic sound just amplified with a little reverb and sustain.

I can sure see where the power switch could get busted off, it should have been located under the carrrying handle or have some sort of guard on it, I spotted that right away and can see where Gerald ran into problems. I plan on packing it in my suitcase when we go down to Arizona in Febuary so I'll have to watch that.

My next adjustment will be to try some different strings the only ones Ive tried are the Aquila's it came with the the Living Waters. I'd like to experiment with some others and plan to search some of the string threads when I have more time.

I travel with the THR5A. And yes the on/off switch snapped off at the base - not by my doing. I flew to a gig with the amp in my suitcase (padded, etc) when I got to my destination I noticed the damage. Luckily a fellow musician had an amp I could borrow for the gig.

I figured it would be an easy fix. I open the amp case and noticed that the switch was soldered and hard wired into the printed circuit board. I contacted Yamaha and they fixed it for free (minus my postage). Luckily? the damage occurred soon after I bought the amp. If I was a year into it I doubt Yamaha would be so accommodating.

Was it the "toggle / switch / thingy that moves....(all good honest techno speak :rolleyes:)

or the threaded "sleeve" that broke off ?

The " toggle / etc " is a bit thin.

One thing about using battery power with this or any of the THR amps...

There is a protective circuit breaker built into the amp that will shut down the entire unit if you strum hard while the volume is very high. This is while on battery power only. If you are using AC the problem does not exist.

The way to prevent this is to use very high powered rechargeable batteries. Rechargeables have higher wattage or voltage or whatever. These are the batteries I use that will not shut down the amp: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995690-REG/sanyo_hr_3uwxa8a_eneloop_xx_aa_battery.html

Here is what I use when I fly with the THR5A. This little screw-on thingy attaches to the sleeve of the toggle. It's some sort of electrical fitting. I got it at my local hardware store. When I get to the gig - it unscrews!

10387095_828531627157290_7087775622708995944_o.jpg

10483957_828531663823953_7194086744217363185_o.jpg

10497376_828531713823948_2557267892841667399_o.jpg

The way to prevent this is to use very high powered rechargeable batteries. Rechargeables have higher wattage or voltage or whatever. These are the batteries I use that will not shut down the amp: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995690-REG/sanyo_hr_3uwxa8a_eneloop_xx_aa_battery.html

Yes, Eneloops are great. I've been using them for years. The advantage over garden variety rechargeables is that they'll hold their charge for months at a time. But any rechargeable NiMH is better than alkalines if you need good peak power.

My battery powered amp of choice is the Vox Mini3. The one I have is green, so it becomes invisible when I set it down in the grass, which is both good and bad at the same time. :)

Good info Gerald ...I'll try my rechargeable Duracells which I use on my Rolaand FR1X Vee Ackordeen ....if they fail then Sanyo eneloops here I come....

and I was thinking about a sleeve for the toggle switch ...good idea...

Thanks

CJ

Top Bottom