PDA

View Full Version : What is everyones favorite string choices right now?

dofthesea
01-18-2015, 02:28 PM
For Tenor low G and High G
Concert and Sopranos?

Thanks

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-18-2015, 02:50 PM
After playing the field for a while I'm back to Oasis again for tenors and concerts. Can't beat the Martin 600 sets for soprano sizes.

Kekani
01-18-2015, 02:51 PM
For Tenor low G
Depending on the build, Savarez Alliance 540J or 540R for most of them.
Sometimes, D'Addario T2 trebles (high tension) with Aranjuez 600 bronze wound low g (only because I can't get the D'Addario Pro Arte 4804's in singles)

janeray1940
01-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Still Martin M600 Fluoros on my soprano and concert ukes. Fremont Soloist for the low G.

resoman
01-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Mostly Oasis and some Southcoast

SteveZ
01-18-2015, 04:09 PM
I stick with Aquila NylGut. They take a pick well.

caukulele
01-18-2015, 04:10 PM
I still love Worth Browns most of the time, and sometimes Worth Clears too.

l3uffer
01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
For my KoAlana concert, I'm using a set of Jason's PhD strings tuned to re-entrant B - nice, warm, mellow tone, and still lots of clarity and response to boot! Sounds like an instrument 5x its value! (I got it for around $200)
For my Pono soprano, I had a set of Oasis Re-entrant Brights (which are such great strings, but tuning to D is too high tension for me), but recently switched to La Bella No.200 rectified nylon. It loses a bit of projection, but there's a noticeable difference in warmth and tone.
For my Kala SMLT (tenor linear C), I'm using Jason's PhD Tenor set as well, but I switched out the flappy plain low G for a D'Addario CG single 4th - evens the string tension a lot more. Jason himself even agrees the low G string is the weakest link, but if you tune to D and replace the tight 1st string with a lighter one (the 1st string tuned to A is great, but tuning up a whole-step makes it really tight), the 4th string becomes a lot more responsive and the set is very playable.

I have a set of Martin 600s I'm waiting to put on my soprano haha...

stevepetergal
01-18-2015, 04:40 PM
High G - Worth CM

Low G -m Worth CM trebles and D'Addario nyl026w or Fremont Soloist low G. I go back and forth. I prefer the sound of the D'Addario (just a bit) but get less string noise from the Fremont.

Patrick Madsen
01-18-2015, 06:43 PM
I've been using Southcoast HML-RW's but may try a set of Oasis on the Moore Bettah to hear why Chuck changed back to them.

hawaii 50
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
After playing the field for a while I'm back to Oasis again for tenors and concerts. Can't beat the Martin 600 sets for soprano sizes.

Yeah Chuck I rotated around to Oasis again too.....but put some Phd's on some of my ukes and i like them again too...:)
they are really soft so I get some major vibrations with them.. I like the Phd non-wound Low G string too.....

we tigers
01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Worth brown on my soprano and concert pineapple. Another two concerts with SouthCoast, living Water on my bari.

Tigeralum2001
01-18-2015, 08:31 PM
I like Worth Clears with a Fremont Soloist Low G. However, it really depends on the uke. I had a vintage Martin tenor that sounded like a million bucks with Aquillas.

Booli
01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Ha Ha - great thread topic!

It seems that I've lost my love & interest in low G for the most part lately, so these are re-entrant now...

1. Living Water - high G
2. Aquila REDS - high G
3. Fremont Blacklines MEDIUM - high G
4. Oasis Bright - high G

These are my top 4 at the moment.

Steedy
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm loving Oasis Brights and Living Water strings right now, but I've heard Phd strings are really good too. Might have to give them a try.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Ah, I love seeing what kinds of strings people prefer. So much variety.

For soprano ukes, my string choice depends on tuning. Tuned GCEA, I like GHS or Kamaka black nylon strings. Tuned up a step to ADF#B, I like D'Addario J65 nylon strings. For baritone uke, I like Hilo or D'Addario strings as well.

Sven
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
I have big reels of Seaguar fishing leader in different gauges, they're fluorocarbon and very similar to Worth and Living water. I use them mostly because it's so convenient to have a big stash of the stuff every time I string a new one up. I'd say it's a lot cheaper too since you get so many sets out of each set of four reels. Once the ukes reach their new homes I suspect the real action starts since many players like to change strings over and over.

Timbuck
01-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I have big reels of Seaguar fishing leader in different gauges, they're fluorocarbon and very similar to Worth and Living water. I use them mostly because it's so convenient to have a big stash of the stuff every time I string a new one up. I'd say it's a lot cheaper too since you get so many sets out of each set of four reels. Once the ukes reach their new homes I suspect the real action starts since many players like to change strings over and over.
Nowt wrong with Fishing line Sven...Mr George Hinchcliffe of UOGB Fame once said in an interview "I use fishing line" here he is playing a not so expensive uke with nylon strings...Some of his band members use tennis raquet strings? :) If he played with top notch "Clear Bluewater Worth 600 Martin aquila strings" I doubt if there would be any noticable difference in the playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ux0QpTTfc

PhilUSAFRet
01-19-2015, 04:29 AM
On what uke and for what purpose?

vcs700s
01-19-2015, 04:49 AM
Martin fluorocarbons on all sizes.

I just got some Oasis brights that I will be trying on my new Loprinzi soprano when it arrives tomorrow.

I only play high G currently.

Kanaka916
01-19-2015, 05:16 AM
To the OP . . . would this question fare better in Uke Talk or was this meant for only the luthiers/builders?

good_uke_boy
01-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Current preferences:
Oasis Low G on concerts, except for Blackbird Clara, which I like better with Fremont Soloist Low G + Fremont Blackline Hard tension.
Southcoast HML-CM (classical metals) on baritones, tuned to Bb.

Patrick Madsen
01-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Yeah Chuck I rotated around to Oasis again too.....but put some Phd's on some of my ukes and i like them again too...:)
they are really soft so I get some major vibrations with them.. I like the Phd non-wound Low G string too.....

Which set did you buy? The Carbon, Bright, or Warm?

hawaii 50
01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Which set did you buy? The Carbon, Bright, or Warm?

Hi Pat
I am using the warm set of Oasis strings with a Fremont Soloist Low G..on my MB,but Chuck using the Oasis Low G string I think.....

dirtiestkidever
01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Worth CL on pretty much everything. I also like Soutcoast LMU. I basically like all clear fluorocarbon string sets. But I like the thin diameters of these the best.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Savarez or Oasis with their own low G or with a Freemont Soloist low G.

Apart from a good sound, all i ask for is a consistency, which seems to be difficult for some makers.

soupking
01-19-2015, 01:46 PM
To the OP . . . would this question fare better in Uke Talk or was this meant for only the luthiers/builders?

Haha. I think this goes to show that none of us look at the "board," so to speak, we just click on topics that seem interesting. I just hit the "What's New?" button, which I'm sure 90% of the membership does… me, I use whichever strings came on the ukulele. If they ever need changing before I sell them in the slaughterhouse, I just buy those strings and put them back on ;)

sukie
01-19-2015, 02:25 PM
D'Addario T2s on my MB super-concert.

wickedwahine11
01-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Savarez Alliance with a Cantiga low g on one uke, PhD low g on another.

dofthesea
01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Was meant for the builders board as I am looking at it from a builders perspective. I have grown used to a wound G and C string so not sure about the other possibilities. I've used Hilo strings for a long time but they just don't seem to have a the best possible tone. I'm building almost all Low G at this time and would like to have a consistent tone/reference at the time of first string up. Is it everyones preference for a wound G & C? Thanks in advance for all the great input. Lots of help.

Titchtheclown
01-20-2015, 02:48 AM
Speaking as a low budget, low tech, high novelty uke maker, I use fishing line and find that for concert and tenorish lengths say up to 400 mm or 17 inches I get by with a 50 80 60 40 lb line recipe and for a slightly shorter scale lengths, say 330 mm or 13 inches I up the string weight to 60 100 80 50 all standard gCEA tuning
For sopranino tuning dGBE (octaves above guitar) I have 275mm or 11 inch scale. I use 40 60 50 and 35 lb line.

I use the cheapest nylon fishing line I can buy, (currently Jarvis Walker Bulk Line) four spools of which cost a touch less than a set of aquilla strings from a musical instrument store. At my current rate of building I may not have to buy more for about 25years.
Unfortunately low g string I think requires wound and my experiments using whipper snipper line haven't really worked out.

Kanaka916
01-20-2015, 03:50 AM
Was meant for the builders board as I am looking at it from a builders perspective. I have grown used to a wound G and C string so not sure about the other possibilities. I've used Hilo strings for a long time but they just don't seem to have a the best possible tone. I'm building almost all Low G at this time and would like to have a consistent tone/reference at the time of first string up. Is it everyones preference for a wound G & C? Thanks in advance for all the great input. Lots of help.

OK . . . as stated above, responses are not necessarily from builders. Hopefully you can get a reference base. BTW, players are split when it comes to wound vs unwound.

Kekani
01-20-2015, 05:38 AM
OK . . . as stated above, responses are not necessarily from builders. Hopefully you can get a reference base. BTW, players are split when it comes to wound vs unwound.
The first two responses are from builders. :)

Interesting in that the shift from Aquila is very evident, where once it was THE go to string (myself included, years ago).
Also interesting is the shift to composite strings, rather than nylon. Personally, I used Savarez Alliance and D'Addario Pro Arte (nylon) in the past, and switched between the two. Each produced different tonal qualities.
I use D'Addario's T2's now, but only because they sound most like Savarez. Both of these being composite, again, switching between the two. You would think I would just stay with Savarez, but there are a few builds that I feel fit the T2's better.

Side note: also interesting in how some members find threads in the Lounge (based on topic). I'm one of those that go specifically to the Lounge, Tech Talk, Uke Talk, in that order (the latter being reading material, mostly).

janeray1940
01-20-2015, 06:01 AM

In case the perspective from a low G player (not builder) helps - for low G, my preference always wound. Always. I've never played a non-wound low G string that didn't make me cringe; and usually when I hear it on someone else's uke I have to bite my tongue to not recommend to them to change to a wound string! I just think non-wound sounds awful, period. Not sure about wound C though - I don't play tenor and haven't sensed the need for it on my low G concert ukes.

And for the record - I'm one of those who always goes to "New Posts" and skims for topics that are of interest.

hawaii 50
01-20-2015, 06:36 AM

other than Aaron and Chuck..i think most builders don't have time or ask for feedback from their customers on what type of string they want......
many of the UU members have tried every brand of string there is.........so you are better off with feedback from them....a lot of the string suppliers have asked for feedback from the UU members in the past too...

The Hilo stings you have been using are ok but as you say the tone not the best...many builders use that string as they get them from one of their good friends who was the distributor here....

my 2 cents

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
01-20-2015, 08:08 AM
other than Aaron and Chuck..i think most builders don't have time or ask for feedback from their customers on what type of string they want......
many of the UU members have tried every brand of string there is.........so you are better off with feedback from them....a lot of the string suppliers have asked for feedback from the UU members in the past too...

I string up according to each customers wishes- Thankfully, that is usually within about 2-3 brands.
I don't want to set the intonation with string brand A, only to find the intonation off when the customer puts on their favorite string brand.

I bookmarked Luthiers lounge and dont go anywhere else unless i spot an interesting title or comment from a UU friend when I click on "my Profile".

Sven
01-20-2015, 08:57 AM
There are other pages on UU? Besides the lounge? No way..!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-20-2015, 09:29 AM
I string according to what sounds best on my ukes. Yes, other forum members may have a wealth of string information (which is always helpful) but few on my customers have played and uke that sounds just like mine. I make recommendations and set up my ukes for that type of string (fluorocarbon, nylon, etc). Currently I'm a fan of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried with the exception of PhD and Fremont black lines.

toyturbo
01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Currently I'm a fan of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried with the exception of PhD and Fremont black lines.

Can you elaborate what you don't like about PhD and Freemont black lines? Is it because they are more mellow sounding?

Brenda Wong
01-20-2015, 11:27 AM

OASIS is what Arron (from Hawaii Music Supply) recommended also . He actually said each uku is different. Joe from Kanile'a said the same thing too.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Can you elaborate what you don't like about PhD and Freemont black lines? Is it because they are more mellow sounding?

Yes, partly. The one time I tried PhD strings they sounded very subdued to me. I never tried them after that because the difference to my ear was rather drastic than subtle (as I would have expected). I only had them on for a day so it wasn't really a fair test. The Fremonts came highly recommended to me and I liked the lively way they sounded. But they never fully stretched out, even after two weeks. Every day I tuned them expecting them to settle in but they never did. Up until then I thought all fluorocarbon strings were alike. Not!
BTW, I do agree that different ukes require different strings but amongst individual builders I think the differences are subtle. Between the different sets of strings I've used I see the most pronounced differences in the G (low) and C strings. The C string is always the most problematic (for me) to get right. If that ain't right the set is rejected. But I also evaluate them by how all the strings work together on a particular uke.
Perhaps some builders are able to try out several sets of strings on each uke they build. I can't do that. I'm sure I get it wrong occasionally.

Pete Howlett
01-20-2015, 01:01 PM
d'Addario Titaniums and their Nyltec brand are fitted on my instruments. Reason I use d'Addario? - I get them OEM. Clients always change strings and mess around with them so I don't get into the whole string obsession thing... :)

Manalishi
01-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Currently all my ukes are strung with Worth Browns.
I used to like Aquilas but find the WB sets to be more
responsive to changing 'attack' when playing,either
gentle strumming,Picking or quite vigourous strumming.