What is everyones favorite string choices right now?

I stick with Aquila NylGut. They take a pick well.

For my KoAlana concert, I'm using a set of Jason's PhD strings tuned to re-entrant B - nice, warm, mellow tone, and still lots of clarity and response to boot! Sounds like an instrument 5x its value! (I got it for around $200)
For my Pono soprano, I had a set of Oasis Re-entrant Brights (which are such great strings, but tuning to D is too high tension for me), but recently switched to La Bella No.200 rectified nylon. It loses a bit of projection, but there's a noticeable difference in warmth and tone.
For my Kala SMLT (tenor linear C), I'm using Jason's PhD Tenor set as well, but I switched out the flappy plain low G for a D'Addario CG single 4th - evens the string tension a lot more. Jason himself even agrees the low G string is the weakest link, but if you tune to D and replace the tight 1st string with a lighter one (the 1st string tuned to A is great, but tuning up a whole-step makes it really tight), the 4th string becomes a lot more responsive and the set is very playable.

I have a set of Martin 600s I'm waiting to put on my soprano haha...

High G - Worth CM

Low G -m Worth CM trebles and D'Addario nyl026w or Fremont Soloist low G. I go back and forth. I prefer the sound of the D'Addario (just a bit) but get less string noise from the Fremont.

After playing the field for a while I'm back to Oasis again for tenors and concerts. Can't beat the Martin 600 sets for soprano sizes.

Yeah Chuck I rotated around to Oasis again too.....but put some Phd's on some of my ukes and i like them again too...:)
they are really soft so I get some major vibrations with them.. I like the Phd non-wound Low G string too.....

Worth brown on my soprano and concert pineapple. Another two concerts with SouthCoast, living Water on my bari.

I like Worth Clears with a Fremont Soloist Low G. However, it really depends on the uke. I had a vintage Martin tenor that sounded like a million bucks with Aquillas.

Ha Ha - great thread topic!

It seems that I've lost my love & interest in low G for the most part lately, so these are re-entrant now...

1. Living Water - high G
2. Aquila REDS - high G
3. Fremont Blacklines MEDIUM - high G
4. Oasis Bright - high G

These are my top 4 at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm loving Oasis Brights and Living Water strings right now, but I've heard Phd strings are really good too. Might have to give them a try.

Ah, I love seeing what kinds of strings people prefer. So much variety.

For soprano ukes, my string choice depends on tuning. Tuned GCEA, I like GHS or Kamaka black nylon strings. Tuned up a step to ADF#B, I like D'Addario J65 nylon strings. For baritone uke, I like Hilo or D'Addario strings as well.

I have big reels of Seaguar fishing leader in different gauges, they're fluorocarbon and very similar to Worth and Living water. I use them mostly because it's so convenient to have a big stash of the stuff every time I string a new one up. I'd say it's a lot cheaper too since you get so many sets out of each set of four reels. Once the ukes reach their new homes I suspect the real action starts since many players like to change strings over and over.

I have big reels of Seaguar fishing leader in different gauges, they're fluorocarbon and very similar to Worth and Living water. I use them mostly because it's so convenient to have a big stash of the stuff every time I string a new one up. I'd say it's a lot cheaper too since you get so many sets out of each set of four reels. Once the ukes reach their new homes I suspect the real action starts since many players like to change strings over and over.
Nowt wrong with Fishing line Sven...Mr George Hinchcliffe of UOGB Fame once said in an interview "I use fishing line" here he is playing a not so expensive uke with nylon strings...Some of his band members use tennis raquet strings? :) If he played with top notch "Clear Bluewater Worth 600 Martin aquila strings" I doubt if there would be any noticable difference in the playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ux0QpTTfc

On what uke and for what purpose?

Martin fluorocarbons on all sizes.

I just got some Oasis brights that I will be trying on my new Loprinzi soprano when it arrives tomorrow.

I only play high G currently.

Top Bottom