Nigerian Scammer

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I had a suspicious email a few days ago asking about buying guitars. From a fellow who said he was in the USA and had a shop in Finland. And wanting to know what credit cards I accepted. How much for instruments and that he'd use his courier to pick up.

Right off I thought things were a bit odd, but I've had a few over the years that turned out to be legit, so I was polite and replied.

Got another email from the fellow who then wanted to buy 3 Guitalele's and wanted to know the total. So again I was polite and said that they would need to be constructed as I only have one in stock. My standard 50% deposit and a 3 month delivery time.

The next reply was to know about instruments available immediately, and how much.

Again I replied with the pertinent info.

Then I received a call on my mobile from the fellow that wanted me to check my emails and get back to him immediately.

This I did, and when I saw that he wanted to buy my entire stock, yet still wanted me to tell him the total, when it was quite obvious if you did some simple math....Well the flashing lights really started to go off.

I checked the phone number that he used to my mobile and turns out it's from Nigeria.

So I replied that for an order that size I would only accept a direct deposit to my bank account. Shipping arrangements could be set up after all transactions have cleared to my satisfaction.

Me thinks I lost out on that sale.:D

You're lucky the email didn't start off with, "You have inherited a large sum of money from a relative--I am their attorney. And I want to buy your entire stock of instruments." :)

Some common red flags. 1) Different country/address than on the credit card. 2) No concern about what he is buying/ no questions about the instruments. 3) Wanted it immediately. 4) Did not want to use a normal method of delivery.

Once had a guy contact me about shooting his wedding in Ohio (I'm in Michigan), I said I could do it, but he would have to pay for travel and expenses, and I'd need a $500 retainer. He sent me a money order for $5000 from Ontario, Canada, as I recall, no less. The idea was I would cash it, he would say, my mistake, please send me the $4500, after which the bank would say, by the way, that money order was no good, so we need our $5K back. I took it to the cops and they acted like I was the bad guy and said I'd be in trouble if I tried to cash that check. Thanks guys, very helpful.

Once had a guy contact me about shooting his wedding in Ohio (I'm in Michigan), I said I could do it, but he would have to pay for travel and expenses, and I'd need a $500 retainer. He sent me a money order for $5000 from Ontario, Canada, as I recall, no less. The idea was I would cash it, he would say, my mistake, please send me the $4500, after which the bank would say, by the way, that money order was no good, so we need our $5K back. I took it to the cops and they acted like I was the bad guy and said I'd be in trouble if I tried to cash that check. Thanks guys, very helpful.

Cops absolutely don't care about fraud. You might have better luck with the Post Office (if they used USPS to send the check) or the Secret Service (yes, they handle money fraud cases). I've also called the FBI for stuff like this and they were at least honest enough to tell me straight out they wouldn't do anything about it.

Allen, I'm glad you were aware of all the red flags. BTW, My bank has warned me to be very careful about who I accept wire transfers from. Who knows what they'll do with the account information you give them. I only accept direct deposits from people I know personally and that I have worked with before.

Allen, I'm glad you were aware of all the red flags. BTW, My bank has warned me to be very careful about who I accept wire transfers from. Who knows what they'll do with the account information you give them. I only accept direct deposits from people I know personally and that I have worked with before.

Good advice. After 28 years in LE investigations I can tell you if it doesn't smell right (usually need it "right away" and often for a sick/dying family member) walk away. I once replied to a similar request on a lark. Told the crook his agent could have the merchandise when he showed up with cash and gave the address of the local police dept for a meetup. Hmm, never got a reply, go figure.

I have one bank account that is only used for receiving money transfers, and nothing else. It is a free account, no monthly charge. Aside from transfers which are moved out upon receipt, there is never any more money in the account than enough to cover international wire fees.

I was advised to set up a completely separate bank account just for bank to bank/wire transfers and on payment move all funds over to your normal business account ASAP-
This way,
1- no one (not even friends) have your personal or business account info and
2- there is never any money in there to steal anyway.

After posting this, I saw that Chris had already said the same thing.

I have one bank account that is only used for receiving money transfers, and nothing else. It is a free account, no monthly charge. Aside from transfers which are moved out upon receipt, there is never any more money in the account than enough to cover international wire fees.

I have the same thing set up and soon after the $$ is deposited it is withdrawn. Still, there's a very narrow window where fraud could occur. I do a background cheek on anyone I don't know who places an order with me. It's a pretty simple safeguard to take.

I got as far as receiving the check just so I could catch the beggar! Nigerian fellow working out of Canada... The authorities were already onto him. The check was a good forgery.

Thanks for starting this thread Allen

I think I'll talk to my bank this weekend about setting something like this up. I've been getting a ton of scammers calling me lately. a few months ago I noticed my website had several "hits" from India then the calls started coming in from the "IRS". Oddly, the IRS guy had an Indian accent.

Top Bottom