Ukulele Painting Help

Reaction score
Hi there, I know this topic has been explored a few times here on UU but after my exploring on these forums and google, I can't help but feel like I'm in the dark on this topic and that I am in need of guidance.
So to start, I want to paint an Italian flag onto a cheap ukulele I'll pick up from the local music store. The design will only be done to the front of the body of the uke.

Here's the uke I'll be using:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/22772/...s/Yorkville_Sound/Soprano_Ukulele_-_Black.htm

Now these are the steps I understand so far and my questions about them:
1)I need to first sand off the old finish (what kind of sandpaper should I use and when? What tips do you guys have about this sanding step?)
2) I then need to apply some sort of wood filler (What kind do ya'll recommend?)
3) I then need to paint the uke (What kind of paint is recommended? Should I even consider spraypaint? Also how many layers would I need and would I need to sand those layers back down?)
4)and lastly, I need some sort of paint finish to prevent ware or chipping (What kind is the best for a ukulele)

I do intend to play this ukulele and would like to not alter the sound as much as possible.

It would be kind of neat if under the paint you could still recognize the wood grain but I don't know if that'll look as good with the rest of the Uke's finish, otherwise I could sand the whole thing and repaint it.

Any other insight would be much appreciated thanks!

Thanks in advance!

2) I then need to apply some sort of wood filler (What kind do ya'll recommend?)

That uke is made of laminated basswood. I doubt you'd need any filler unless you find some serious defects under the existing paint. Filler would be needed if you wanted a glass-like finish over a more open-grained wood like mahogany.

"It would be kind of neat if under the paint you could still recognize the wood grain "

Then I would not use a paint but a coloured or stained varnish....the colours would muted but the grain would show through..Ikea ,or your average DIY shop will have these ...or try google...

I would also take the top coats of paint off with NitroMors ..paint stripper rather than sand down through the dry paint ...you will not stand so much risk of scuffing up the base wood so much....Just make sure to mask off the sides and any other parts that you may splash with the stuff, it's effective !!

I would do the headstock as well...just a thought .....or a crest of some sort...

Last edited:
Viva los Mexico! Aiiieeeeeeeeya hah hah! http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-SMEX-Ukadelic-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B004Y5YGCK

29102_266x.jpg

So start with this little Mexican and add a bit of White to get an instant Italian eh? ;)

Don't worry my last name ends in O and I've worn the horn in my youth I think that gives me the OK to joke around. Have you seen true romance?

1. Depending on the finish, what you are trying to use over it and even the desired effect you are going for you might not have to remove all of the old finish.

2. Wood filler repairs holes and gouges, it will also block all natural grain from showing through. I have a tube of Elmer's carpenters woodfiller here I just used to fill a small hole in the back of a ukulele. It is white very white.

3. Spray paint? I guess you can get any type of paint put into a spray can nowadays from what I hear. Krylon? I wouldn't go that route.

4. I bought a can of Spar Urethane to cover the back of a decoupaged ukulele. Ive read so many conflicting opinions I'm running a test piece first.

I do not think painting a $150 ukulele is going to change the sound very much unless you paint it like a house.

~AL~

Last edited:
Why not just paint the flag right on the surface of the finish and save yourself all that work and potential disaster? I mean, the uke costs $29.95. If it doesn't work, buy another one...

Yeah just paint over the exiting surface. couldnt you just buy a sticker of your flag and practice instead and save money on sandpaper, filler, paint , sealer, clearcoat ?

But to each there own.

I recently e-mailed a company that does airbrushing on guitars. I was honest in reply to their estimate saying that it was my first go around with painting and their ballpark estimate was more than I expected. Because I replied he gave me this helpful advice :
...you may consider having a Pinstriper or sign painter put it on there with sign paint ....that's direct to surface and doesn't require a clearcoat finish....just make sure he at least puts a hardner additive to the paint....just an idea.

I don't know if this would work or not but there is this option :
http://www.unexpectedelegance.com/2011/09/01/wax-paper-transfer-tutorial/

^ I don't know if it'd work for white basically you can transfer onto wood by printing on wax paper.

I am exploring another option tomorrow if it works out I will report back.

Last edited:
the waxed paper thing reminded me of another option I explored a few months ago looking into this project there is a product in craft stores that would probably transfer the colors onto a white ukulele. (that wasn't expensive) If you want wood grain to show you might want to watch this:

Other options would include print on water transfer or iron on transfer papers.

Searching for those I came across this process from a handmade guitar company (?) YT channel

It does seem to leave a clear outline around the image though. ^ much like using window decals on gloss finish guitars/ukuleles for an image that can later be removed.

Last edited:
That is all a bit involved for the likes of me.
Ask at your local stationary store for
Water slide decal transfer paper
Or
Clear iron on transfer paper.
I have used the iron on stuff on my boat, it worked a treat. It faded in the sun a bit but ukes don't live in the sun and I was using cheap nongenuine ink.
A number of people in the cigar box guitar making world use the water slide decal transfer paper for personalised logos and other artwork. Hiding the edge of the decal can be achieved by careful trimming and having borders or boxes around things as part of the design.

That is all a bit involved for the likes of me.
Ask at your local stationary store for
Water slide decal transfer paper
Or
Clear iron on transfer paper.
I have used the iron on stuff on my boat, it worked a treat. It faded in the sun a bit but ukes don't live in the sun and I was using cheap nongenuine ink.
A number of people in the cigar box guitar making world use the water slide decal transfer paper for personalised logos and other artwork. Hiding the edge of the decal can be achieved by careful trimming and having borders or boxes around things as part of the design.

Decal paper would probably work on gloss serfices without having to sand anything off. White decal paper is very time consuming to cut out. (at least for me) But that doesn't disclude it as an option.

At this point I am just adding everything I run across on the internet about after market painting/decorating guitars or ukes because I have thought about it a lot over the last few months. I haven't had much success but I have had a few amazing failures.

So here is another step by step of how someone painted a ukulele this one has pictures:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Paint-A-Ukulele/?ALLSTEPS
there should be a link to them painting a guitar where they also sanded everthing off.

I have been looking into this while the site was down I noticed their is a marketed ukulele that is designed to be painted or decorated with paint with no sanding or even magic markers:
MatteUke.JPG
(Kahala w/ Matte White markable surface) It is a little hard to tell from the poor descriptions most have for this item the picture I posted seems to have the best description, when I first saw it I thought it was a ukulele for dry erase. But, I think the idea is for people to sign like they would a cast for a broken arm or paint the surface like it is primer.

Caukulele has also posted her method in another thread:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?86281-Painting-my-Ukulele&highlight=caukulele

And someone has said their lanikai sounds better w/ this amazing paint job in this thread:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?53762-Custom-Ukulele-Paint-Job&highlight=paint

In the realted thread some have suggested going to people on Etsy where there are a few people who paint on Ukuleles starting at $75 and that I believe includes the ukulele.
Others on Etsy have used wood burning tools with verying results.

Last edited:
DASS Supersauce for inkjet transfers...

DASS is good ! :) Thanks Matt If you have the transfer sheet you don't need to wait like with the other mediums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJx86ZxK5A
All the video demonstrations I have been seeing show the prep of the surface and then bring out an image of a clear transfer sheet that has already been printed to apply to the surface and make no mention of what that film is. Some videos even use Purell hand sanitizer to coat the surface. Does the clear transfer sheet have a sealing coat on it that protects the image ? Also some spray clear coats have solvents that can cause problems with ink on surfaces. Have you had experience with this product ?

DASS is good ! :) Thanks Matt If you have the transfer sheet you don't need to wait like with the other mediums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJx86ZxK5A
All the video demonstrations I have been seeing show the prep of the surface and then bring out an image of a clear transfer sheet that has already been printed to apply to the surface and make no mention of what that film is. Some videos even use Purell hand sanitizer to coat the surface. Does the clear transfer sheet have a sealing coat on it that protects the image ? Also some spray clear coats have solvents that can cause problems with ink on surfaces. Have you had experience with this product ?

No, I haven't tried it myself, but I keep meaning to, and have heard nothing but good things about it.

Inkjet ink isn't very UV stable. I'm beginning to believe coatings with UV protection do not protect the ink underneath only the finish they are added to.

~AL~

Inkjet ink isn't very UV stable. I'm beginning to believe coatings with UV protection do not protect the ink underneath only the finish they are added to.

~AL~

You may be right I remember clear coats used to get a yellow tint to them back in the day. I was thinking about protecting the ink from getting smeared off.

You've mentioned you are a tattoo artist, I have been in a tattoo parlor (do they still call them that ?) once in my life. If I recall correctly, after the image was picked from the book, it was printed on some sort of transfer sheet and positioned for the person to approve the tattoo's size and location, would that sort of transfer work on a ukulele ?

Edit:
I just found a much easier transfer technique that I assume would work on wood as well as it does paper (but don't know) there is a marker that will instantly transfer an image from a laser or photocopier shown at 1:45 in this demonstration. (pretty cool) according to another video this will work on metal and glass (no word on wood) and if you don't have access to the marker they say Vodka works too. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7PxtmR47w

Last edited:
Top Bottom