Kanilea KSDLX spruce top……or comments on your Kanilea ukulele

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I'm curious about comments in general on sound and fit and finish on Kanilea. I won't be in Hawaii for another year and don't have any near me to play but would love comments on them. In particular, I found the KSDLX - spruce top tenor, Koa sides and back with lovely koa rosette……. so if anyone has played or owns one of these I'd love to hear comments.
Thanks

I was at Kanile'a in Nov and took the tour, which was really cool because my wife and I were the only ones there and got the royal treatment. I had the opportunity to play a KSDLX in the showroom. What a beauty, that spruce top with the koa rosette was stunning, and the workmanship was outstanding. I really wanted that ukulele, but it was outside my price range.

In my experiences, Kanile'a has the best gloss finish of all Hawaiian made production ukes. They use the same UV-cured polyester finish Taylor Guitar uses. The fit and finish on the wood and other details is also the best I have seen on Hawaiian made production ukes.

I have a Kaneli'a KSDLX tenor, # 10649, it has a beautiful, warm and articulate tone and plenty of volume.
The ebony appointments and Koa rosette give it an understated and elegant appearance.
I also like the wider nut width on Kaneli'a ukuleles, although I have lots of ukes with standard nut width.

Last edited:
I agree with Doc_J. You won't find a prettier factory uke. Kanile'a seems to get their hands on nice koa and their fir and finish is (IMHO) the best of the factory K brands.

Agreed with all above.

That's a mighty handsome ukulele.

I agree with what has been said. Kanile'a has the nicest gloss finish and some of the most gorgeous Koa that you'll find in production ukes. They feel very light and smooth. Their fingerboard and string spacing is a bit wider than usual, which may be helpful in certain playing styles. I like their voicing, but I think it takes different strings to show its full potential. They dropped prices recently, so you're good to go...!

I agree with what has been said. Kanile'a has the nicest gloss finish and some of the most gorgeous Koa that you'll find in production ukes. They feel very light and smooth. Their fingerboard and string spacing is a bit wider than usual, which may be helpful in certain playing styles. I like their voicing, but I think it takes different strings to show its full potential. They dropped prices recently, so you're good to go...!

My opinion is that was a great price for a production uke of that calibre.

Lowering the prices makes it even sweeter. What's the catch? ;)

everybody likes the fit and finish, and I agree as far as the one I've been around, but what about the sound?

Last edited:
Another sound clip from HMS and Corey of the KSDLX, in case you want to hear more.

[video]http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanilea-ksdlx-spruce-top-tenor-s-2.html[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone This Ukulele sounds good and looks good. Very impressive. I like all the demo's on You Tube even with Aquila strings. I wonder what strings would would bring out the best in this Ukulele. With the lower prices now, this would seems to be a great buy. I don't see many on line. I will watch HMS and see if they get some soon. How do the all Koa models sound in comparison. I really like spruce for a top myself. The KSDLX is a nice looking ukulele.

Kanile'a Ukuleles have the best fit and finish of the big three K ukulele makers. Joe and Kristen are the most generous and gracious builders in the business. They gave us the most detailed tour of their factory even though we had already bought our Kanile'a at HMS. Their Islander Ukes are also the best asian built ukes on the market. You can't go wrong with a Kanile'a.

Thanks for all the replies everyone This Ukulele sounds good and looks good. Very impressive. I like all the demo's on You Tube even with Aquila strings. I wonder what strings would would bring out the best in this Ukulele. With the lower prices now, this would seems to be a great buy. I don't see many on line. I will watch HMS and see if they get some soon. How do the all Koa models sound in comparison. I really like spruce for a top myself. The KSDLX is a nice looking ukulele.

Here you go...in stock.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market/kanilea-ksdlx-tenor-oahu-oasis-1318.html

Thanks Warndt.......I see in another thread post by HMS that Kanilea have a cut out tenor coming out. That is not a cutaway in the way we normally thing but very much like the James Hill custom by DaSilva . The cutout is different by kinda same idea. I wonder what tops Kanilea will offer in this model?

Top Bottom