Holding the ukulele

Saldawop

Reaction score
I am struggling with holding the ukulele properly, or am I.

I have seen lots of videos and they say hold it in the crook of your arm,squishing it between your body and forearm.I take my strumming hand away and the uke points straight out in front of me.
If I do that, when I ,for example, try to play a D7, then goto a G7, the ukulele want to swing outwards, putting me off my rhythm.
Now, is that just my inexperience, as I still need to look when changing to certain chords?
For example, when not looking and making the (rightish) shapes,it is not too bad, apart from the sound :D
Am I holding it wrong, or do I need to concentrate on not looking down?

Also, am I getting into a bad habit,by sitting in a reclining chair with the uke resting on my chest?

I had a similar problem - I could not get used to holding the uke with my strumming arm. I use a strap and it is no longer an issue. All my main players have strap buttons installed by my local guitar tech; problem solved.

As for not looking at the fretboard, that will come with practice. Sometimes I end up playing in relatively dark places and I find that if I know a song well enough to perform it in public, then I usually don't need to look at the fretboard.

The recliner is only a bad habit if you want to play in public some day. You can't (probably) bring your recliner up on stage with you, so if performing is a goal for you, then you should practice (at least some of the time) in a more traditional performance position (sitting in a straight-backed chair or standing).

Last edited:

I have seen lots of videos and they say hold it in the crook of your arm,squishing it between your body and forearm.I take my strumming hand away and the uke points straight out in front of me.
If I do that, when I ,for example, try to play a D7, then goto a G7, the ukulele want to swing outwards, putting me off my rhythm.
Now, is that just my inexperience, as I still need to look when changing to certain chords?
For example, when not looking and making the (rightish) shapes,it is not too bad, apart from the sound :D

Also, am I getting into a bad habit,by sitting in a reclining chair with the uke resting on my chest?

What ...like this ???

Faarrttyy.jpg

Maybe ....Maybe not ...I was playing some Blues .....

You're likely to get a whole host of recommendations as to what is or isn't "correct" ... so I'll start the ball rolling :)

I'd recommend a strap, then there's no right or wrong way of holding it, it's just "there" and you can strum it and fret it without worrying about dropping it.

My personal opinion is that the "clamped to the body with the forearm" style of holding the instrument is simply cramping your style ... but it is a style, and some players like it!

Again, my personal opinion is "yes", it's a bad habit. Sit up "properly" in a straight-backed chair and learn to play. Once you can play you can slouch around and "impress" those who don't know better, but you'll never progress very far if you don't learn properly in the first place ;)

As I'm known for saying ... YMMV :)

HA ... by the time I'd finished typing this two others had beaten me to it!

Last edited:
Ha ha. My favorite way to play is in a reclining chair with the uke sitting on my chest. I play for the pleasure of playing. Don't know or care if there is a "right" way to do it.

The subject of how to hold the uke is an area where the experts seem to go out of their way to not be helpful. I've asked lots of folks for input on this and what they all say is some variation of "Oh, just wedge it in there under your arm and everything will be OK. You'll get used to it. Don't worry." It's pretty frustrating for me.

Here is my latest theory: eventually your left hand learns to hold up the neck even in situation where you don't think the left hand can possibly hold up the neck. It comes to you slowly and nobody can tell you how to do it so nobody even tries.

"pluck" makes a good point about so much confused advice. Part of it is tradional and the soprano size. I think it is all trial and error because all of us are anatomically different. Heck you go down the road of male vs female I am guessing they have more of a challenge then us guys.

Every person who has tried a strap that I know has loved it and never looked back, sorry CeeJay. The problem of holding the uke is solved. You can concentrate on the important stuff like learning how to form chords and strum without worrying about your uke. ccrashing to the ground

Again, my personal opinion is "yes", it's a bad habit. Sit up "properly" in a straight-backed chair and learn to play. Once you can play you can slouch around and "impress" those who don't know better, but you'll never progress very far if you don't learn properly in the first place ;)

I agree. Others will say "don't listen to him - do what you want", but during the learning process, it pays to follow the conventional wisdom - not only to improve faster, but also to avoid injuring yourself. You can break all the rules later...

I agree. Others will say "don't listen to him - do what you want", but during the learning process, it pays to follow the conventional wisdom - not only to improve faster, but also to avoid injuring yourself. You can break all the rules later...

I will third this. I was taught to sit on the dge of your chair and sit up straight. Good posture leads to good play as it does to a good golf swing..........oops wrong forum

Never thought I would be agreeing with OJ. :rofl: Very unfortunate turn of initals there Jim

If you are wearing a long sleeve shirt, make sure it isn't a slippery synthetic fabric. Even I have problems with that.

If you are wearing a long sleeve shirt, make sure it isn't a slippery synthetic fabric. Even I have problems with that.

The "traditional" way to hold the uke developed in a climate where long sleeve shirts weren't considered. :)

I play in my recliner, but I hold the uke the exact same way standing up. I practicre a lot, so using proper posture at the edge of a chair would get old real quick. The only time I have found it tricky to hold it in the crook of my strumming arm is when I'm wearing long sleeves. I get a much better grip, if I have on short sleeves.

"pluck" makes a good point about so much confused advice. Part of it is tradional and the soprano size. I think it is all trial and error because all of us are anatomically different. Heck you go down the road of male vs female I am guessing they have more of a challenge then us guys.

Every person who has tried a strap that I know has loved it and never looked back, sorry CeeJay. The problem of holding the uke is solved. You can concentrate on the important stuff like learning how to form chords and strum without worrying about your uke. ccrashing to the ground

Ahh, they always pick on the Rabid UK Strap Hater....it's a coise I tells ye:eek:

Here :biglaugh:

11.jpg

1111.jpg

123.jpg

rtrtr.jpg

I have more.....and those Banjoleles are slippery customers let me tell you.......:p

Breaking News though.....I would say that a Tenor Guitar and a Baritone Guitar probably will justify a sling,strap...harness ...thingy, certainly to be played standing..

...sorry did I say gyeetarr ...I meant Ukelele ...tch what am I like ...........??:rolleyes:

I will third this. I was taught to sit on the edge of your chair and sit up straight. Good posture leads to good play ...

Never thought I would be agreeing with OJ. :rofl: Very unfortunate turn of initals there Jim
What was that DUD?

Don't learn to play in an arm chair. Play in an armchair if you wish.

I would prefer to perform standing up. My disability issues pretty much put the Kibosh on that. But I need to investigate strapping, especially for Tenors.

CeeJay may be advocating no straps for banjoleles. Hard to tell with CeeJay; but I tend to agree with him. The Strap on my Tenor Banjolele is an impediment to my playing for some unknown reason. A stool for me when playing banjo-uke.

Sit down if you must. Use a strap; but don't pinch your uke to your chest.
1. It limits where you can play on the neck.
2. Prohibits muting with the heel of your hand while strumming.

I will say first that you can hold it however way you want to as long as it's comfortable and allows you to do the things you want to do. I've seen all sorts of things with my kids and as long as its not dangerous i usually let them. I will describe a method that I learned from lessons that seems to help.

1) place lower "hip" of uke on knee, and bring close to body, but not touching body, enough space where you can slide your hand in between

2) tilt headstock at angle, say 10 o'clock

3) bring upper hip towards body, which slants fretboard towards you, and brings the headstock a little forward

4) rest forearm and strum away!

I like being able to rest the uke on my hip, seems to keep it stable. Also the idea that the uke isn't fuly pressed against your body seems to help the instrument ring a little more, as the back does vibrate a little bit.

I will say first that you can hold it however way you want to as long as it's comfortable and allows you to do the things you want to do. I've seen all sorts of things with my kids and as long as its not dangerous i usually let them. I will describe a method that I learned from lessons that seems to help.

1) place lower "hip" of uke on knee, and bring close to body, but not touching body, enough space where you can slide your hand in between

3) bring upper hip towards body, which slants fretboard towards you, and brings the headstock a little forward

I like being able to rest the uke on my hip, seems to keep it stable. Also the idea that the uke isn't fuly pressed against your body seems to help the instrument ring a little more, as the back does vibrate a little bit.

What size Uke are we talking Recs ?

What was that DUD?

Don't learn to play in an arm chair. Play in an armchair if you wish.

I would prefer to perform standing up. My disability issues pretty much put the Kibosh on that. But I need to investigate strapping, especially for Tenors.

CeeJay may be advocating no straps for banjoleles. Hard to tell with CeeJay; but I tend to agree with him. The Strap on my Tenor Banjolele is an impediment to my playing for some unknown reason. A stool for me when playing banjo-uke.

Sit down if you must. Use a strap; but don't pinch your uke to your chest.
1. It limits where you can play on the neck.
2. Prohibits muting with the heel of your hand while strumming.

I'm "advocating" sod all....;)..I just found some photos of non strap utilising ukers ...there is a ukelele in there as well...:eek:ld:

Last edited:
What size Uke are we talking Recs ?

I personally use that technique with both concerts and tenors. My mya moe has a strap so I'll go back and forth. For my junior high kids, we have concerts and sopranos, we mainly use the concerts in class, being a little bigger they are somewhat easier to hold. Many of my kids use the above technique and like it, some prefer to hold it up higher and flat against their chest, some try to play it on their lap, which is probably the one version I actively correct.

Strap makes a huge difference - I can play fine without it, but the difference with a strap in place is noticeable - going from C to E minor is way easier.

My daughter's music teacher tells them to hold their ukes up like the shoulder strap of a seat belt. If they start slouching she just says the word seat belt and they sit up. They don't hold it all the way to the to of thier shoulders but they get the angle visual she is after.

Top Bottom