Uke and String Combos project

khrome

UU+
Reaction score
Documenting Uke and Strings Combos - Collab Project

As I was researching strings on the board today, I noticed what is needed is a central place to list all the uke and string combos we have tried, whether we thought they were good or not. Some people are trying to achieve a certain sound, so what may be "bad" to one person might actually be good for another. So what I'd like to do is start tracking these in a spreadsheet.

But before I start asking for everyone's uke/string experiences, I want to make sure I have all the right columns for things we want to track. So far I have:

Uke Brand, Uke Model, String Brand, String Brand Line, Results, Contributor​

And on a second page, I have more details about each string line with these data columns:

String Brand, String Brand Line, Size, Materials, Notes​

Let me know if I should add columns, or if I need to get rid of some (for example, maybe I don't need two columns for String Brand and Line.) After we get the spreadsheet set up the way we want, then I can start adding your results. Does this sound like a good idea? Does something like this already exist - maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here.

Anyway, here is an example of what I'm talking about. There are tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet that will allow you to flip between pages, or sheets.

Last edited:
I don't know of any thread or website quantifying string preference. Its a great idea that reminds me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Good idea!

I think this is a great idea and you should have it so folks have to login to edit or someone may just start typin away...

It would be nice to have a place to post info like this.
Just this weekend I changed strings on my Kala KA-T Tenor from D'Addario Pro Arte's which I was sold on as being great to Aquallia High g Tenors just to see what it would sound like and boy was I suprised.
I like them alot better than the Pro Arte's on this Uke which was suprising as I don't care for the Aquilla Soprano strings on the Kala KA-S Soprano to tinny sounding to my ears and I don't care for the Aquilla Tenors on my Kala Spruce Top/Maple Body Tenor.

Last edited:
Welp, the spreadsheet has been on Google Docs for over a week and no one has made any changes to it. So I'm going back to Plan A - I will input it myself but I need your help in giving me info.

This month I'm pretty busy but next month hopefully I will have time to put this data into a database and make some search forms to make it easier to find stuff.

So if you could, just post to this thread the different string combos you have tried in this format - even the combos you didn't like:

Uke Brand:
String Brand:
String Brand Line:
Results:

Try to stay objective when writing results. Stay away from opinion-type phrases like "I like" or "sounds nice" or "is better than". Instead, try to describe the sound itself - like tinny, full, mellow, bright, muted, loud, etc. Does it have good sustain? How does it sound at the higher frets? Those kinds of things.

Thanks! This could be a great resource but it will only be as good as WE make it. So start posting! :D

Top Bottom