PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the Neck Heel: Flush to the Back?

sequoia
01-20-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm getting ready to cut my neck heel and am again puzzled. There doesn't seem to be a plan which I understand because it doesn't make much structural difference. I've cut them flush, I've cut then slightly back and I've cut them radically back and can't decide what is best. I like the flush cut because I don't have to sand that little stupid ledge, but I think it looks a little clunky when it is flush. What do you pros do?

Pete Howlett
01-20-2015, 11:17 PM
When I did them flush I 'capped' them with the back classical guitar style - that is a really nice look if you are using a Spanish heel. because I heavily round the back and front edge I set the heel back by the depth of the round + a couple of hairs...

sequoia
01-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks Pete. I have always done them with a contrasting cap flat and flush to the back. It looks good, but I'm thinking maybe too solid looking (?) for a uke. This one I've done with a 3/16" reveal. Just picked the reveal randomly with no thought to design. I'll bet there is a sweet spot there somewhere to reveal and depth of sides. Who knows. Just a meaningless detail. Just stuff I think about when I'm building ukes.