Mim's Winter NAMM 2015 Adventure Thread!

Mim

Reaction score
Hey yall!

I am sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane to LAX and thought it would be fun this NAMM to start a thread about my NAMM adventures from the get-go (instead of a summary after). The goal is to try to post a couple times a day with some hopefully interesting stuff! Such as the new ukes I see, the cool people I see, and the cool ukulele events and jams that go down!

So first picture!
0121150602a.jpg

I had to get up at 2:30... I. Am. Exhausted! Especially since I have been a bit ill. I always lose my voice at NAMM, but this year I am ahead of the game, I already have no voice! So it can only get better from here!

Agenda today:
-Board plane
-Sleep on plane
-Step out of the airport into palm trees, sunshine, and weather in the 70s!
-Get to hotel and drop my stuff
-Book it to the convention center and grab my bag
-Hustle inside and hug people and see what is going down
-Meet up with the infamous Sally, the amazing Mike Hind, the fantastic Colin Coleman, the awesome Greg Golden, and the unequaled Sukie!
-Eat In-N-Out Burger (Wait for me guys! Don't go without me! See, I posted it on UU, so now we HAVE to go... right?!)

It should be a whole lot of fun!!!

Pictures as I go on my Facebook (friend "Mim's Ukes", not my business page), and on Instagram "MimsUkes"!

First Musing:

Every year there always seems to be an ukulele trend that will pop up! One year it was Banjo ukes. EVERYONE was launching a banjo uke. Brand name, no name, large, and small. Solid bodies have had years where they have seemed the trend as well. So, my prediction for this year...

PLASTIC UKULELES!

Which, we all sort of already know about because of Kala launching their Watermans and with the Aqualele's by Bugsgear, they have already gotten a lot of press. I am curious to see if anyone else is jumping on the Plastic Bandwagon.

And I really like stocking plastic ukuleles for kids, travel, and heck... everybody! So I will be really picky figuring out which is the best value for the build and sound. A big thing too is "set-up-ability". Not all plastic ukuleles can be set up. If they are not set-up-able, the action needs to be good. The Bugsgear is really easy to give a nice low action to it on the nut and the 12th fret is on the money. So that is the standard I am comparing it to.

Does anyone else think there will be another trend this year?

bring back a bongolele!

So, I just saw the Purple KoAloha on your facebook feed.

Uh Oh.

Hey, wanna trade it for my Kamoa? :D

Walk by the Koaloha booth again and see if they have any info on an Opio tenor!

Can't wait to see your impressions of the Kala Waterman plastic uke. Looks like it may be perfect for the beach.

Saw you at Aldrine's show MIM, but you were at a table full of folks and it was noisy. Hope you had fun.

Boy are you a cutie-pie, better lookin' every day (does it sound like I'm reaching for a "made my day" response? Yep!). I'm going to be there on Sunday hanging with Cali Rose, the leader of the CC Strummers group, of which I'm a member. And thanks for the recommendation of the Kala cedar top tenor cutaway months ago, probably my best sounding uke.

Last edited:
I had such good intentions for posts. But my internet is slow. Tomorrow ... I will get caught up! Tons of pictures on Facebook and more to come!

Hi Mim,
Try the Rebel's, I have 2 and they are great and from my understanding the are built at same Thailand factory that builds the Opios.

Hi Mim,
Try the Rebel's, I have 2 and they are great and from my understanding the are built at same Thailand factory that builds the Opios.

Yep! I LOVE THE REBELS! And I love Peng from Rebel! We had such a good time talking and getting to know each other. The Rebels are right by the Opios and I will post some pictures when I get hoe! The happiest booth at NAMM is the KoAloha Booth with the Rebel ukes and of course the Kamaka guys! I feel like I am visiting my family when I am at their booths.

I have been slacking on this thread! I always have great intentions and am terrible when I get to NAMM with never sitting down and getting posts done. I have a ton on facebook, but still not as many as I would like. So much music, so much fun, and I cant help by do all the after-NAMM uke shows and jams that I end up not having any down time to post. I had such great intentions. But when I get home I promise to do a thorough rundown of everything I saw and learned. And one of the ukuleles I want to talk about for sure is the Rebel ukuleles!

Last edited:
Hi Mim,

Greetings from Canada. Did you have a look at the new Deering Goodtime Ukulele Banjo, concert scale yet? I would be interested to hear what it is like.

Regards,
Bill in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Hi Mim,

Greetings from Canada. Did you have a look at the new Deering Goodtime Ukulele Banjo, concert scale yet? I would be interested to hear what it is like.

Regards,
Bill in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Say what?

That got my attention - I was reading quietly on my ipad in bed trying not to wake my wife and I had to jump out of bed and do a quick internet search. Deering is making Banjo ukes? I didn't turn anything up on line, but I'm really interested.

Top Bottom