Bought a cheap "TOM" uke. Pleasant surprise!

kissing

Reaction score
I had been wanting a "pocket" uke for a while to tune to high-octave DGBE so I bought a Tom 17" ukulele on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301243802366

I was a bit worried and didn't expect much as it would be a cheap ukulele.

It arrived last night, and I'm actually very pleased with it!
I tuned it up to high DGBE and the ukulele really sings. Sure, the fret spacing is a bit tight, but that's expected from a tiny ukulele like this one. However, I don't have much trouble busting out nearly all the songs I know how to play on ukulele. There is something enjoyable about playing "serious" sounding instrumental pieces on such a tiny instrument tuned at such a high pitch. It's the "musical box effect" at its max.

The action that it came with was fine, but I prefer lower action, so I sanded the saddle down a wee bit. I was surprised to see that the saddle is actually made of bone (website states that it is "Ox bone") instead of some cheap plastic that a lot of budget ukes come with.

The tuners are smooth and high quality. The finish, fittings, frets, fingerboard and wood are pretty much flawless! I can see absolutely no blemishes or signs of cheap workmanship anywhere on the ukulele.

The tone is a nice bright "harp" like tone you get from high octave DGBE tuning. It came with re-entrant Aquilas, but I installed a Solist flat-wound low-G string tuned up to D.

So basically it is like a baritone ukulele tuned one octave high. A very useful tuning as I play baritone and guitars a lot.

I understand that this isn't supposed to be a "serious" instrument, but it certainly is a great bang for the buck, super-duper portable and certainly bound to draw a lot of attention when something so small is capable of so much.

I am considering installing a passive undersaddle pickup... we shall see..

TOM Mini Ukulele, Mainland Gecko Soprano, Kala Thinline Tenor

Last edited:
I recently posted a thread on TOM ukes. I bought a concert, and it's a wonderful instrument. It's hard to believe the quality, considering the low price. On my youtube channel, you will find two recent videos featuring the TOM.

Cool......rule one, get your money's worth. Sounds like you did, congrats and keep on having fun. Thanks for posting

I was quite pleased with the Tom thinline tenor I got last year. From my experience and what I have seen online from others they make a really nice uke at a great price.

Happy to see you are enjoying yours it's a nice looking uke!

They should be in everyone's quiver!

Top Bottom