More NAMM Fun & Discount Coupon for Airturn

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few tidbits from my day at NAMM. First, let me say that I did not attempt to see or document everything, so this is simply some random observations. Second, note that it is very noisy in the exhibit halls and while I looked at and touched a lot of instruments, it is no place to judge tonal qualities.

AirTurn. There have been a number of threads on bluetooth page tuners. I have toyed with the idea but never made the leap. However, I got to test out the new AirTurn PED and loved it. It is a very compact and light two pedal design that works with many dozens of applications. You'd be able to throw it in the side pocket of virtually any gig bag. MSRP is $69. You can buy it from their online store and use the coupon code NAMM15 before 3/31 for a 20% discount. It will ship in mid-February. It's now on their site (I have no business relationship with them nor am I getting anything; just sharing ;-): http://store.airturn.com/airturn-ped/

BoogieJuice. This is an all natural fretboard cleaner that comes in a marker-like pen. It's angled tip enables cleaning right up to the fretwire. Very simple. Love the convenience. www.boogiejuice.co.nz

Robson Tuners. Beau Hannam suggested I stopped by. These tuning machines are very well finished and elegant. One of the partners, Greg Goodwill is a legendary hand engraver. He worked for 7 years with a guy who is reportedly the best in the world. The detail they can add to slotted headstock tuners is stunning.

GL Cases. These folks only make leather violin and viola cases, but these were the most well executed, elegant leather cases or luggage I have ever seen. Bar none. Of course, they wholesale for almost $900 but they look and feel worth every cent. If I had a really special Moore Bettah or something like that, I could imagine spending it if they made 'uke cases.

Kanile'a. Love the woods and finishes on the Kanile'a 'ukes. They've introduced a new "Natural" finish which looks like a satin finish but has a more smooth feel than others I've felt. And they have a few models with what they call -- IIRC -- a Cobra slotted headstock. It's very, very thin and uses Gotoh Stealth tuners. I think it is quite sexy. Look forward to one day testing one for sound.

Slapstick Noodle. I thought this was so cool I almost bought one on the spot. It's a metal stick that is 28 inches long and weighs only a few ounces. It has a thin metal ribbon on one side. You can tune it for different octaves and then you thump or slap it to make percussive sounds (plugged into any amp, headphones or your phone). I thought it was super cool. See it here http://www.slaperoo.com/noodle.htm

There you have it, some absolutely random stuff.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for sharing. Better have a good sense of rhythm with this baby. Makes me want to build a 1 string diddley bow bass for 20 or 30 bucks.

Thanks Eddie for the tips. I am interested in getting a replacement for my old AirTurn. I must of stomped it to death. The new design looks more finished and is less expensive than the old one. Thanks for the discount code!

–Lori

Thanks Eddie. Enjoyed the photos and the commentary. You're right about Slaperoo Noodle. That was way too cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom