Beginners uke ~ 200

ChrisPbass

Reaction score
Longtime guitar/bass player looking for a uke. My kids started learning on cheap 40 ukes and I have jumped in with them.

I'd like to spend 200 or less on amazon. I've already bought and returned an OS OU7 . The nut was sharp, the files needed work, the action buzzed and there was a finish flaw. I realize it's only 200 but I was not happy. It definitely required a setup. Especially bad was the nut. I know I should have bought one locally (northern va) but I'm not sure where to do that and amazon is so easy!

Thinking Lanikai this time. Hate to drop a reputable brand like OS but...

Looking for a concert for around 200. Electronics not req'd. Any thoughts appreciated.

The reviews on "Tom" ukuleles from china have been very good and can get you a pick up and change back for your $200.

I've changed my mind. I think buying from a dedicated uke site is worth it for the setup. I know that is the defining factor when you are dropping 200 or so.

Hi Chris. Aloha and welcome to UU.

Going with a reputable dealer is a good choice. They usually screen out the bad ukes and will be there if you have problems. Where do you live? We may be able to steer you to some one near by.

BTW, the big music trade show, NAMM, is going on in California so some U.S. dealers may be busy for a few days.

Good luck, happy hunting, and let us know what you get

Last edited:
Good choice, Amazon not the best place to buy a uke for reasons you've already discovered. Mainland, MIMS, Uke Republic, TheUkeSite, etc. etc.

You mentioned you are in Virginia, well so is Mim's Ukes.:)You are in luck because she is one of the very best dedicated uke dealers out there period. Mim is physically at the NAMM show at the moment but google Mim's Ukes to get an idea about all she carries. You can be confident she will hook you up with a very good concert in your price range, Kala or Ohana, and it will be set up great.

Yes, Mim's! Call her up (when she returns from NAMM) and she'll make sure you get a great uke for your money, set up real nice.

Cool - I like to support the brick and mortar. I'll email her and see whats up!

Thanks for y'alls help!

Oops, I missed that you were in VA. Yes to Mim and a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

I bought an Ohana CK-20 from her and was very happy. Get ahold of her once she gets back. She will help you find a good uke

Hey Chris. Welcome to UU! Are you sure you don't want a nicely set up (by Mim no less) tenor? I have one available for well under $200 shipped from North Carolina. Click the link in my signature for more details.

Top Bottom