Wellington international ukulele orchestra

dismount

Reaction score
My wife got tickets to see them tonite, Only 3 miles from our house. Don't know much about them but we will see tonite. South oklahoma city Juior college is the venue. Phil

They were here, and I had to work. I heard mixed reviews, but most said they were fun. Let us know how it was!

We got to see them here in NC last week. They were fantastic. No "mixed" reviews here. They are good players, great singers and have stage presence to spare. It was a very fun evening. I hope you had as great a time as we did.

just got home and yes to what knowspickin said. great players not a tongue in cheek show like UOGB. I like that too. very entertaining and nice folks. There was a family from New Zeland at the show which for Ok. is rare. Highly recommend wellington.

What do you mean not a tongue in cheek show ? I have a chance to go tomorrow, but it is quite along drive. From the video I have seen of this group it seems to be like a jam session of a group of ukulele players.

Can you elaborate ?

In some ways they are MORE tongue in cheek than UOGB, just in a much more zany and kinetic way. They all stand for the entire show. There is a good bit of on stage dancing by the band members; and they ENCOURAGE dancing by the audience, which they got.

UOGB relies a lot on the irony of such elegantly dressed, staid looking folks playing such funny arrangements. WIUO is visually more splashy. But even more crazy. Both groups have a great time.

I recommend the "Meet the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra" video. It does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the groups concerts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaO_wKjWoic

I strongly recommend seeing them if they come your way.

Bill

I saw them in Athens, Georgia, on the 15th - they rocked it! Also, drove over 2 hours to see them; it was well WORTH the drive!

One of the best shows I have seen in a while. Great stage presence, variety in song choices, wonderful playing, super energy, and the interaction with the audience was very fun and cool!

Last edited:
In some ways they are MORE tongue in cheek than UOGB, just in a much more zany and kinetic way. They all stand for the entire show. There is a good bit of on stage dancing by the band members; and they ENCOURAGE dancing by the audience, which they got.

UOGB relies a lot on the irony of such elegantly dressed, staid looking folks playing such funny arrangements. WIUO is visually more splashy. But even more crazy. Both groups have a great time.

I recommend the "Meet the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra" video. It does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the groups concerts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaO_wKjWoic

I strongly recommend seeing them if they come your way.

Bill

Thanks for the video. THey had me as soon as the guy in the gorilla suit hit the gong. :)
I better start heading out. THey only have single seats available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom