Anyone know much about rebel?

spookelele

Reaction score
The two clips that HMS put up sound really good to my ear, esp that mahogany one. Anyone know what kinda price tag is attached to something like these?

Hello Spookelele,

I a while back I bought the thin line concert mahogany with the maple fretboard from uke lab. At the time they were offering an introductory price and free shipping. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! It is a great uke, in fact I liked it so much that turned around and bought the standard mahogany concert with the mohogany fretboard and it is a great uke with a great look! I liked that one so much that I went to purchase the soprano size but they are sold out. Uke Lab was great to deal with- no problems and answered all my email questions. It is my understanding that they are built at the same factory as the Opios. Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate getting a Rebel. If any sopranos come in, I am going to grab one!

Yes, made at the same factory as Opios - in Thailand. Both great ukes. The Rebel does not use any of the patented KoAloha designs, but sounds just as beautiful. With the Rebel, you are also able to customize (as pictured with the company owner last Julyimage.jpg). He offered to make me a resonator tenor, but the past two years I've gone a bit overboard with UAS, so I've had to postpone on that.

I played the one in the first video and I would buy it over a K brand in the same price range. I think it's that good!

They certainly sound great--and I love the look of them, very classy.

HMS put up vids of some new ones.
They're sounding fantastic.

Yes, made at the same factory as Opios - in Thailand. Both great ukes. The Rebel does not use any of the patented KoAloha designs, but sounds just as beautiful. With the Rebel, you are also able to customize (as pictured with the company owner last JulyView attachment 75341). He offered to make me a resonator tenor, but the past two years I've gone a bit overboard with UAS, so I've had to postpone on that.
Yes that is my good friend peng, part owner of Baan ukulele and the factory, amazing tone and great price

If my tax refund didn't already go to buy the mahogany one, I'd be on the phone with Andrew right now.....

If my tax refund didn't already go to buy the mahogany one, I'd be on the phone with Andrew right now.....

So tell us about the mahogany one you have. I must have missed the review if you did one.

I didn't do a review. I figured if you can't get one like it, there's not a lot of point in doing a review.

------Short version-----
I love it.

------Longer version-----

I will say there's both good and less good. The woodwork is first rate. The joins, the purfling, fit, inlays, are all great. The fretwork could be better, and at some point I'll probably look for someone to re-fret it. That could be due to that mine has been around the block a bit with namm, hawaii, and previous owner not to mention where it had been before namm. The finish has one small pinhole if you go looking for it, and there's a weird something behind the nut the I'll probably try to buff out next time I change strings, but is otherwise pretty smooth/flat finish.

But the tone and the way it feels when you play it is fantastic.

I can't get the tone Corey gets out of my pono atsh. I just can't, and its because he's a much better player than I am.
But I can get close to the tone Corey gets on the Rebel. I never feel like I have to convince it to sound good, and I don't feel like I have to hunt for the right kind of strings for it.
It seems to sound good with whatever I put on it.

There's also a feeling to the strum... that feels creamy.
I know it's a bad description, but I don't know how else to describe it.
It has a very easy feel to it that makes me want to not put it away.

Despite the small flaws, I don't have any buyers remorse, and like I said.. if I didn't already have one.. I'd be on the phone trying to get that maple one from Andrew.... the idea is still spinning in my head.. if Id be willing to credit card it.. which says something because I'm VERY anti-debt. My mortgage is the only debt I've been willing to carry in the last 15 years. I don't mean to encourage taking debt... just that it's crossed my mind despite my aversion to debt.

If you're tone questing.. its worth considering.
Not sure it would be great re-sale since people don't know the brand.. but it's not one I'd sell anyway.

Top Bottom