A snare drum type sound?

Jeffelele

Reaction score
I once saw a movie that featured an amazingly annoying little boy. He would stand next to someone and with every word they said he would hit a snare drum he wore with a strap around his neck. You can imagine.

Best as I can, that describes a sound I heard from one of the first ukuleles I played. This sound seemed as loud or louder than the notes I fingerpicked. A loud unvarying in pitch tap with each note. I could not stand to play this ukulele. It was driving me crazy.

Since then I've played a few other ukuleles and never noticed the sound that loud. It seems on my current uke sometimes I hear this percussive tap when fingerpicking but not at that drives me crazy volume. I've tried to notice what in my technique causes it to come and go but I have no clue. Is it my technique or my ears?

Once, listening to a YouTube vid of a uke I liked I put on headphones to get a more accurate sound and there it was at a volume I found very distracting and annoying.

I've tried without and with headphones on other videos and have never heard it to that extent again.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Players, luthiers?

Jeff

A banjo Uke with a missing bridge?

Scooter

Top Bottom