OUD - Old Uke Day

Lalz

Reaction score
Did I ever mention I got a Mainland Tenor with red cedar top from Uke Republic, a looong long time ago, in like 2012 I think? No? Here it is then! (Finally got around to photographing it)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So: whole solid wood body with red cedar top, rosewood back and sides and amber friction tuners. Tuned as a Venezuelan cuatro: low 1st and 4th strings, in the key of D. Southcoast cuatro strings on. Very warm and resonant sound. Love it!

More pictures here: My Mainland photo album

Last edited:
Thank you!! I'm very happy with it :)

Photo or it didn't happen, as they say ;)

Congratulations on the old new uke! I love the look of Mainlands, I think rope binding is exquisite....and the reddish color of the tops....nice....the tuning you are using sounds intersting....

Great looking instrument. Would love to hear it with that tuning.

Thanks! It's a very good tuning indeed, I think it works really well with the red cedar tone, and as always Southcoast strings are just perfect. I've never had a string set from them I didn't love.

I don't have a recording of me playing it, but you can hear the tuning on this video (which instantly made me want to get a uke with cuatro tuning), where Penguin Café Orchestra is playing an actual cuatro.

I remember that a few people - Dirk from Southcoast in particular - posted videos of traditional and contemporary cuatro playing a while back. I think a search on the term "cuatro" should bring them forward :)

Even tho i have a pro classic now and a decent bari and been around some really nice instruments i still lust after these mainland red cedars! My main uke and guitar are both cedar sooo i cant imagine id not like this :) congrats!

How deep is the sound box at either end? My soprano red cedar is very loud, (and sweet), the saddle is mounted in the bottom half of the lower bout and the depth of sound box is more like a concert than a soprano. How loud is your tenor?

Great looking uke. The more I see Mainlands the more I like them.

Thanks BigD and CJay!

How deep is the sound box at either end? My soprano red cedar is very loud, (and sweet), the saddle is mounted in the bottom half of the lower bout and the depth of sound box is more like a concert than a soprano. How loud is your tenor?

Standard depth for a tenor I suppose? It's my only tenor and I haven't tried any other model of that size in a long time, so not sure how it compares in terms of sound box depth but it looks like a normal size to me.

The acoustic quality is excellent. How loud uke is depends on more on how you play it imo. My playing style is not very aggressive (and the strings are well balanced) so I don't make it go very loud, but it could easily if I wanted to.

Top Bottom