some will think me insane

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
so some here know of my obsession with slotted headstocks... among other things. well some here also know that ive been toying with the idea of converting a conventional peg style headstock into a slotted one.

got up this morning and bugoy asks me if i wanted to check out some new stores he found out about that carried ukuleles. needless to say... ROAD TRIP. we get to this little mom and pop shop and i started playing their "higher" end ukes. mostly kalas. and all tenors. i was actually hoping to find a nice concert. so i turn around and the "cheaper" ukes are on the adjacent wall almost hiding behind all the guitars. i pick up this little makala ukulele and play it. nothing special. checked the intonation, looked it over, noted the $50 price tag, and bought it with the intention of turning it into a completely different one-of-a-kind ukulele by the end of the weekend.

soon as i got home with her, i ripped the strings off, pulled the tuners off, and started working on her. also shaved the saddle down a bit to bring the action just a little lower. did the work i needed to do, reinstalled the tuners, restrung with aquilas, reshaped the saddle, and now i have this...
DSC00211.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

this was the prototype. so the workmanship isnt as great. but i wanted to prove that it could be done. and i did just that. hahaha. i now own the ONLY makala 4 string ukulele with slotted head.

Very impressive! I love your do-it-yourself spirit! :D

So my question is.... what does it sound like after surgery?

yes, i would like to know too :D
when i first saw that picture that said "makala," i was thinking, did nuke just slap on another custom headstock job and change his "kala" to a "makala" (as in sounding like MY kala hehe).

yes, i would like to know too :D
when i first saw that picture that said "makala," i was thinking, did nuke just slap on another custom headstock job and change his "kala" to a "makala" (as in sounding like MY kala hehe).

haha, actually makala is to kala, as pono is to ko'olau, as toyota is to lexus. im actually planning to cover up that brand name and make my own.

Very impressive! I love your do-it-yourself spirit! :D

So my question is.... what does it sound like after surgery?

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

well, keeping in mind that its a $50 uke, and all i really did to her was change the strings... its still nothing to write home to mom about. but the strings did make a difference, and the weight reduction in the headstock shows. im happy with it. i finally have a uke that sounds decent, plays well, and wont have a problem leaving at work.

Nice work! :)

im actually planning to cover up that brand name and make my own.
It looks like your uke has a matte finish. See if fine steel wool (used by furniture refinishers) will rub off the "Makala" label without affecting the finish. I used that to remove the gold Yamaha label from my GL-1 (Guitalele) headstock. I wanted my GL-1 to match my Yamaha C45MA classical guitar.

Nuke, you are my hero. I too, love the classical headstock look. I was toying around with the idea of doing the same surgery to the soprano ukulele I'm building(if it could be done)...anyways, great job!

beautiful, what did you use to slot it? a router? I think i might want to do this to my soprano.

Howlie Boy

Going to work with the powertools huh? You did a very nice job on it. How far did you have to drive to find the ukulele shops?

wow man nice diy uke

ive been thinking about making my own ukulele but i dont know any measurements or even how to make one...

hmmm maby i should leave that to you for now lol

So....nobody makes ukes in SD....hmm? Well Nuker....are you up for the task? Time to clean out the garage and convert it to a crazy uke factory. Now..you can have the uke you REALLY want..haha. No, but seriously though....do it...ha.

I would be interested in helping out a bit possibly if and or when you ever decide to take on such a challenge...

So....nobody makes ukes in SD....hmm? Well Nuker....are you up for the task? Time to clean out the garage and convert it to a crazy uke factory. Now..you can have the uke you REALLY want..haha. No, but seriously though....do it...ha.

I would be interested in helping out a bit possibly if and or when you ever decide to take on such a challenge...
actually, i just found out there is one in oceanside. the guy at giacoletti told me about him.

actually, i just found out there is one in oceanside. the guy at giacoletti told me about him.

What's the name of the luthier in O'side? Is he legit or new to the game? By the way...Cartman in the avatar is holding a uke made of koa. That material is taken from a pic of my own Koaloha. I dropped the koa wood on a drawing of a uke I did awhile back...so it's legit..ha. There is also a dragon in the soundhole and on the headstock...just too small to see in the avatar..

Last edited:
In my opinion...

NukeDoc, thought you might enjoy this one. I'm with you, I love the slotted headstock look and plan on getting me one soon. To my eyes, this is the best damn tenor uke and slotted headstock on the planet at the moment! P.S. It's also currently for sale for $5500.00! I'm thinking about a 5 yr loan, but my wife says no way! haha.. Check it out.., e.lo

http://web.mac.com/syacavone/iWeb/Site/6657326C-71F4-496D-9C2B-1A330E77AB36.html

Attachments

• headstalk.jpg
    headstalk.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
ok for those that were interested in what this uke sounds like... im gonna try something out here... hope it works. just click on the pic.

Top Bottom