New to the forum - build as a hobby

Cfiimei

Reaction score
Just... Wow. I am awed to be in the company found here. My name is Mike, and I work as an IT analyst for Deere. That makes my instruments amature built, so don't be too hard on me. To date I have about a dozen builds under my belt, and more than half of them are not ukes. I've dabbled in dulcimers and hammered dulcimers, folk instruments similar to "walking" dulcimers, guitars, and yes, ukuleles. My go-to play instrument is a uke.

I'm posting a pic of a build I did some years ago because it is all I can find from this iPad. This is the first and only solid electric I have done, and it has a LOT of play time, mainly because I can put on headphones and not disturb other family members as much when I play. I based the basic outline on the Flea because I thought that would make an interesting solid body. The wood is imbuia and hard maple with a little flame, and the pickup is an undersaddle Shadow.

Ok, so the attachment thing isn't working for me. Here's a link to a write up the Flea Museum did on that piece. They embellished my words a little (for drama I suppose.)

http://flukeandflea.tumblr.com/post/34488981564/the-zz-flea-amateur-luthier-mike-gillihan-who

Glad to be here!

Last edited:
Actually I'm not that awe inspiring as a ukulele builder so you can relax. My lutherie is more an agony/ecstasy kind of thing with the occasional happy success. However there are some real luthiers that do post here so you might find it useful. Welcome and good luck.

Top Bottom