Todays Work

MichaelPfenning

Reaction score
Picture of the current progress. The sound board and back glue on. the glue joints aren't as nice as i would like But I was planning on binding the edges anyway. DSC_1364.jpgDSC_1365.jpg

IMG_0626.jpgThis is todays work. I didn't have any fancy fret dot material so i used Birch plug and cut them off flush. Can i finish the fret board with Tru Oil?? I think it turned out pretty good.

Last edited:
I like the birch plugs. Good innovating Michael. I just got through putting in super-fancy and expensive abalone dots and you know what? I can't see the dam things when I play. they look pretty, but don't do their job and that just ain't right. Hard to see especially in low light. I'm going to mother of pearl from now on. Or maybe birch... Keep us posted on your progress.

I think it looks good too.
Most people don't put a finish on a fretboard but instead use a lemon oil or fretboard oil, stuff like that. Then there are your Strats and Telecasters, some electrics where they finish the fretboards. I can't say I've seen many acoustic instruments where the fretboard was finished but I don't get out much, lol.

Yeah, I would agree. A finished fretboard for some reason (I'm not sure why) just doesn't look good to my eye. Lemon oil is all you need. Oh, and I slathered on some lemon oil the other day that got onto my strings. Talk about a tone killer! Lemon oil on strings = not good. Wipe it off completely after application before stringing up. My cheap rosewood fretboards soak it like a sponge and take multiple coats to get things looking good. 2 to 3 or even more coats over a period of days. Can't rush lemon oil. Also don't use the cheap chit. Get instrument quality REAL lemon oil and not the synthetic chit for furniture. You want lemon oil with no wax. Wax = Very, Very Bad.

My only misgiving on the birch dowels is that they might be a little soft in the long run if the instrument is played hard and they might scallop a little bit. Easy enough to replace though. I do like the idea of wood markers though. Below pictures of my disappointing abalone markers.

DSCN5853.jpg

Looks good from the audience point of view, but from the players point of view looks like this:

DSCN5854.jpg

As somebody that actually plays these things, I wanna see where I'm going and the abalone doesn't cut it. Maybe if they were bigger...

Yes, black side dots will go on later. A fretboard work still in progress.... I have to add that my eyesight is failing too so this might not be as big an issue with you younger guys. You can't do what you can't see. Fluorescent, blinking position markers anyone?

My only misgiving on the birch dowels is that they might be a little soft in the long run if the instrument is played hard and they might scallop a little bit. Easy enough to replace though. I do like the idea of wood markers though. Below pictures of my disappointing abalone markers.

View attachment 76220

Looks good from the audience point of view, but from the players point of view looks like this:

View attachment 76221

As somebody that actually plays these things, I wanna see where I'm going and the abalone doesn't cut it. Maybe if they were bigger...

Most players rely on the side markers rather than the tip ones anyway. I use white dots on all my fret boards regardless of what I use on the top for the highest visibly.

I have white side markers also. Lot of good help thanks. I think the birch plugs are end grain and seem to be nearly as hard as the walnut fret board .maybe they will wear ok. I have to learn to play first so I don't have to worry about wearing anything out.

Top Bottom