Tip, string change to fix sudden buzz

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I had a C string buzz mysteriously appear on one of my ukes. Would only buzz when playing hard (like I often do), and oddly, only when playing near or over the soundboard. I could hit the string as hard as I wanted over the fretboard, and no buzz, ever. Shimmed up the saddle slightly ... buzzzzzz. Decided to swap strings, as I thought it was odd that it depended where I struck the string as to whether or not it buzzed ... and, it appears to have solved the issue! New string, no buzz (yet). Thought this may help someone dealing with gremlins. Carry on.

Good advice and worth a try! I've had that happen; I've also had a new string suddenly start intonating poorly. Both times a string change fixed it. I guess bum strings can slip past quality control from time to time.

Did you put on the same brand/type of strings?

Skin oils can deteriorate frequently used portions of your strings. Sounds like that could be the problem. If so you also discovered the fix!

Did you put on the same brand/type of strings?

Actually, it had Worth browns (which after trying several, I like best on this uke). The uke had come with Aquilas which I ditched and saved, and I noticed they were slightly larger diameter. So, I thought maybe the Worth was sitting too low in the nut slot that had been cut for Aquilas. Tried the old Aquila, no buzz. Put on a new Worth brown (investigating the real cause), and again, no buzz...yet. Still holding my breath that the "problem" is solved. Then, I'll remove the thin paper shims I put under the saddle initially (only raised the action 1/64th at the 12th, but hey. 1/64 is 1/64)

Last edited:
i've had this problem with my Ortega soprano. Came with Aquilas and the C was so dominant, I was about to give it away.
switched to Worth browns which were much better except for a subtle high frequency buzz *only* when strumming the C string over the sound hole that I can't track down.
It also happens when fretting so the nut is ruled out.
I've changed the saddle and tried raising it - no use.
Checked all the frets are level.
I'm starting to think it is some resonance in the body somewhere.

i've had this problem with my Ortega soprano. Came with Aquilas and the C was so dominant, I was about to give it away.
switched to Worth browns which were much better except for a subtle high frequency buzz *only* when strumming the C string over the sound hole that I can't track down.
It also happens when fretting so the nut is ruled out.
I've changed the saddle and tried raising it - no use.
Checked all the frets are level.
I'm starting to think it is some resonance in the body somewhere.
Browns are a larger diameter right? Try fretting the various order harmonics and see if one of the frets might be a lttle high. (5,7,12).

Yes going to a thicker string if you have lower action will create a buzz...raise the action and issue is resolved.. send the bees home

Top Bottom