Alulu HU999 8-string Solid Acacia Koa Tenor Ukulele, hummingbird in the UK

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Hi, I've been away from the forum for a while but I'm after an 8-string uke & after seeing the options available I've really fallen for this one. The only problem I've got is that I've never heard of them & it's looks as though I'd be having to buy in from abroad? Just wondered if anybody had any experience with these ukes, getting hold of one & if they're available directly in the UK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161565754509?redirect=mobile

$_35.JPG

As always, your help & input is much appreciated!

Cheers guys!

You won't be able to get a hold of one in the UK unless you buy it or if someone else from the UK is willing to let you try theirs out.
I can vouch for Alulu ukuleles though. I've only had good experiences with all of their ukes I've bought in the past (which was 3). If you look through the forums, you'll find many reviews on them!
Personally, I would say they're adequate instruments but if you're expecting an 800 dollar+ instrument then you're looking in the wrong section. With that being said, they're really good value for the prices they go for online.

Here's a YouTube video of me playing an original song on a previous model, Alulu solid acacia 8 string tenor.

My instrument wasn't perfect and I've had a little work done to it however it is a great sounding instrument.

Anthony

I peruse eBay all the time for tenor ukuleles and have seen the Alulu ukes often, though I've never bought one but I really like their designs.

So I just purchased one of these Alulu 8 strings, but had to return it over some confusion regarding the scale length (I'm awaiting the replacement). Overall, the quality and workmanship of the uke is an excellent value for the price. I found the setup to be very good - no buzzes and the action was comfortable, especially fretting 8 strings.

The con's are that the finish is rather thick, the headstock is heavy, and it is difficult to work out any issues with the maker due to location and language barriers. However, going back to price, I didn't expect a thin hand rubbed finish for the money; and the headstock is not necessarily heavy due to workmanship - there's 8 geared tuners up there (the neck is actually somewhat thin with a flat back profile). But I don't feel these items are significant enough to prevent me from purchasing from Alulu.

I'll elaborate a bit on the scale issue I mentioned at the beginning of my post. I wanted a concert scale 8 string, and although he advertises his 8 string as a tenor, you'll see in the specifications that the scale length is 380mm or roughly 15 inches. The uke shows up with a scale length of about 435mm (17 inches). Alulu accepted the return and is making me a concert scale 8 string. Alulu indicated that it was a typo in their listings and that all of the 8 string ukes have a 17" scale. I also had ordered the aforementioned tenor with a radiused neck as I thought it would help in fretting the 8 strings, and I believe it does. Alulu just received my return last week, so if you have an interest in the radiused neck version, contact him via the website link noted in the previous post. It has the hummingbird inlay, and I would have gladly kept it if it was a concert scale.

There has been much discussion in other posts about the quality and lifespan of these instruments, so I will not rehash all of that. The maker, or more likely the broker, for Alulu instruments is Taisamlu. He is located in Taiwan, but the instrument may be made elsewhere, at his direction. But setting all those unknowns aside, for me, this is a relatively less expensive option for a concert scale 8 string (taropatch). Based on my brief exposure to the instrument, I found it to be a good deal and will have one of my own in the near future.

Good luck,
Al

Top Bottom