really need help fixing my uke

cuhzpatrick

Reaction score
hey everyone, i got an Oscar Schmidt OU5 about 7 months ago and still today it sounds bad. i just haven't had any time to get it fixed. but anyways, the problem is the nut. well at least i thinks its the nut. because when the strings are strummed or picked, it makes a rumbling/really loud vibration noise. and also, i'm not sure if the grooves are supposed to be deep enough to where the strings are fully inside it, but mine are not like that and the strings are sticking out a lot (thats kind of why i think it sounds weird).

so, i'm actually trying to fix it myself but i don't really know what i need. can anyone show me where i can get a couple nuts, tools to make it(preferably online), and a step by step process on how to take off my old one and how to put a new one:D. i know it may seem a lot of work for someone to help me out, but i would really, really appreciate your help

generaly if you go to your local shop they will have the nut. also you can usually have them show you how replace it, or just pay them to do it. i aould also rcomend taking it to a shop and have it looked at to see if its the nut. would suck to change it and still does the same thing....

Howlie Boy:cool:

do guitar centers fix ukuleles? if so, how much do you think it would cost to get the nut changed and new strings. if i do get it fixed there, should i get any other replacement parts? what kinds?

I had a similar buzzing after changing strings on my Fluke. In my case, the slot in the nut was just a little bigger than the string, which created a slight buzz. So I spooled the string onto the tuner so that the string passed thru the nut at more of an angle rather than straight thru it and voila, buzz was gone. Now in my case, the headstock is slotted, which is more likely to have this minor problem. Yours is not slotted, so likely the strings are already passing thru at an angle.

If possible, please post a picture as close and clear as you can get it. Is it all 4 strings that buzz or just one? If it's all of them, your fretboard may not be fully glued in place (if this is the case its probably closer to the body end of the frets -- I've had this problem too).

Your strings should sit fully inside the slots in the nut, flush at the very least. If not then some careful work with a small file will pay off.

If you're able to verify the nut needs to be replaced, then check out ukuleleworld2.com -- he sells nut blanks that you can slot yourself as well as pre-slotted nuts for just a few bucks. I'll assume you are handy enough to remove the existing nut, clean up the affected area and glue a new one on.

While a little disorganized, there's my input -- post a pic if possible and we can probably offer some more effective help.

Have fun!

here are a couple pics of how it looks.
DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

oh, and my C and E strings do the buzzing noise really loud and the G and A strings do it just a little bit. so i guess they all have a problem, but im pretty sure its not the fretboard thats doing anything.

well i checked ukuleleworld2.com and saw the nut blanks. im planning on getting a couple of those, but i have no idea how to remove the nut on my uke right now and how and what i need to put on a new one and shave it.

Last edited:
just tap the side of the nut lightly with a hammer. or take a flat head precision screwdriver and wedge it in between the nut and the neck and just tap it a bit so it goes in, then pry it loose. but if it is the nut, and its just because the strings are sticking out, then just pull the strings off and file the grooves down with a small file.

remember. work slow. you only have one chance. so get it right the first time.

the pics you posted show the C and E strings well above flush, so instead of sitting IN the groove where they can't vibrate/buzz, they are sitting on top of the groove and have 'too much' freedom to move around, creating your buzzing sound.

Also, when you took the pics, was your other hand clamped around the neck holding up the uke? I ask because the strings appear to be right on and/or touching the first fret. If they are always that close, does the buzzing only occur when you play the string open or only at "X" frets distance from the nut?

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm

Again, have a look at the above site before making any modification. It's a guitar site, but the method is the same. Shows how to remove/replace and adjust the action properly at the nut -- very informative and page 2 (see 'Properly Adjusting the Nut" especially will probably do the best job of diagnosing your specific problem.

Please let us know how you make out.

Hummm, you best check to see if it's not in your neck or body area before replacing the nut. My guess is that the nut is fine (from the pics you've showed). In general, it doesn't take much pressure to get the strings to sound fine on a nut. Even without any groove there still shouldn't be a problem with buzzing on the nut (just side slippage if there is no groove at all).

Press down on the fretboard at any fret to see if the problem still exists. If so, it is defianately not the nut. Also, if the buzz increases when plucking the open strings, this still might indicate buzzing in the body or saddle area. One more thing, check the tuning pegs for loosen or bad fitting. It could be there also. Lastly, listen with your ears. Where is the buzzing coming from. At the neck area? More in the body?, etc. Finally, you can isolate the buzz by using a small tube or plastic pipe against one ear. Create the buzz, then move the pipe (or tube) over the uke. See where the buzz sounds loudest. Good luck, e.lo........

Top Bottom