Start to play with right or left hand on the frets?

manuel

Reaction score
I am starting to play ukulele, i use my right hand for all things, i think that the hand that play frets have more hard work and complex that the other hand, what do you think?

Left hand frets, rights picks. There're some very complex picking patterns, strumming variations and rhythms. Besides, if you're playing lefty you have to stand on your head whilst playing.

For regular strumming and/or finger-picking patterns, even though the fingers on the left hand have to be pretty nimble, the right hand is where all the coordination has to be. The left can just sit on a chord shape for a measure or two... it's the right hand that's doing the rhythm and moving a lot more during that time. I'd say that the right hand is really doing the "hard work".

For playing single-note lines and chord melodies, then the hands are about even. (The left might have a bit more work due to hammer-ons and pull-offs, but not by much.)

JJ

I'm right handed, can't even hold a cocktail in my left hand!!!!

Right hand for strummin/pickin and left for frettin/slidin.

Don't you need special strings to play lefty (kidding) but at least a left hand nut?

I had the same question when I was starting, and I was told that I need the strength of my dominant hand to put the power into the strums.

My left hand is pretty weak, but with time and practise, has become strong enough to hold those difficult chord formations.

I've actually started using a finger exerciser (the gripmaster) to assist me along with this, too. ^_^

Top Bottom