I was given this Ukelin today!!!!

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Invented in 1926, it seems and played with a bow and thumb pick. Almost the exact length of a normal tenor uke.

10486046_764490780306304_8821776050541754873_n.jpg
10896957_764490876972961_5981431007872940717_n.jpg
10947317_764490903639625_1891531945495755617_n.jpg

Check out this cool vid and the solo 1min in-

Holy duck s**t batman that thing blew my mind. It sounded like 3 - 4 different instruments were playing at the same time. Way Cool

My sister found one of these a few years ago (no bow) and gave it to me.

It sits on a bureau in the spare bedroom, with an Erhu and a pair of bagpipe chanters - all instruments I told myself I should one day learn to make noise with.

So far, I have only managed to make noise with the bagpipe chanters (and a cheap set of parlour pipes I acquired years ago).

Not music, mind you - just noise.

-Kurt​

It sits on a bureau in the spare bedroom, with an Erhu and a pair of bagpipe chanters - all instruments I told myself I should one day learn to make noise with.
So far, I have only managed to make noise with the bagpipe chanters (and a cheap set of parlour pipes I acquired years ago).
Not music, mind you - just noise.
-Kurt​

hahaha- i think this has the same fate Kurt!- hopefully ill get the courage to tune it so i can sound like an orchestra !

I have a nice one. They show up on eBay quite often. Apparently thousands were sold by traveling salesmen in the early 20th Century.

Thanks for sharing, but it locks up when I try and play for some reason. Tried it on YouTube, locked up my computer again. Hmmm, my computer was trying to open a screen shot something or another, had to reboot to find that out. Anyway, cool. I have one I bought for a wall hanger. Maybe I'll try and play it .

Last edited:
Extremely cool!

It really sounded full and resonant.

What gives me pause is the brilliant person who figured out how to make the first one and then how to play it.

I'm curious to know what was combined as the basis for it.

A psaltry and a zither?

Thanks for sharing Beau. A strange but interesting thing.

It leaves me with two thoughts (which is an increase on my previous situation). A little listening to that probably goes along way towards the end. Looking at a recent thread on quality of tuning methods makes me think any attempt at explaining how to tune it could result in heavy casualties.

This could end up the first instrument to be banned from the forum.

Yes, I know I said two thoughts and somehow ended up with 2.5.

Jeff

this thing is amazing! Wil you make some more videos? I want to hear more of it. I also want to make a movie about the traveling salesmen who peddled it.

These were sold door to door along with similar instruments like the dolciola, the guitar zither, the mandolin zither and the Autoharp. It seems that the Autoharp was the only one that really caught on. The others show up in auction sales and flea markets fairly regularly. Many music stores that deal in vintage and second hand instruments have a Ukelin hanging on a wall. I have a ukelin, a guitar zither and a mandolin zither in my back room. All are wall hangers.

Ukelins have little utility. They are easily tuned once you replace the corroded strings,and you have the proper size wrench. The O.S.Autoharp wrench is the right size. You can learn some elementary bowing techniques, if you have a bow. You can obtain ukelins for about $25. The instrument must be played on a table to get full resonance. Wall hangers are a good use for these things. If you think this is cool, so be it. Look for a O.S. Hawaiian Tremaloa. A even more bizarre less playable instrument. They have a minimal rarity value. Hard to find.

I have a O.S. ukelin. Not even sure where I got it, Maybe from Debbie McClatchy. If you want you can have it for the cost of shipping plus 2c consideration or a donation to your favorite charity.

Last edited:
The video is so cool. Just when you think you've seen it all.....

Top Bottom