Spontaneous Ukulele Combustion (SUC)

Jeffelele

Reaction score
I found this article. None of it is my fault. Here it is exactly as I found it.

Spontaneous Ukulele Combustion

The first reported case of spontaneous ukulele combustion (SUC) happened in 1837 in a small town in Kansas on the, unusually thick, Kansas/Detroit border.

The Sheriff, who may have been called Fred, was summoned to weigh in on the seriousness of the issue and the possibility that it constituted a crime.

Noting that the event took place in a saloon the Sheriff stated, "All I saw was a pile of ash, the so-called witnesses were all drunk, and my name isn't Fred".

To preserve the public order a decision was reached to defer the issue to a later date when the well-known instrumentalist who would someday be named Paul McCartney could weigh in.

Reached for comment some 170 years later McCartney would only say, "I think you must have the wrong McCartney".

Jeff

:anyone: know what the heck this is about? :anyone:

:anyone: know what the heck this is about? :anyone:

Close to midnight when it was posted...............alcohol may have been involved :cheers:

Just another good example of why you should not drink and type.

Not necessarily. There are quite a few "lost" or "undiscovered" artifacts from that era of American history. To wit:

The Texan
102_3845.jpg

102_3846.jpg

102_3847.jpg

102_3848.jpg
Recently recovered from the basement of the Alamo, this baritone cigar box ukulele was reportedly a previously unknown major element in the historic battle of 1836 at the famous mission in San Antonio. Used by Davy Crockett as a club after all ammunition had been spent, the uke features a 23.5” scale, Gibson-style tuners, .38 caliber fret markers, Ranger star and Alamo-shaped headstock. While lying in his sickbed, Colonel James Bowie fashioned the neck with his famous knife. While Col. Bowie's illness was undiagnosed, many of those under his command said they believe he was feeling “The Blues”.

Battle_of_the_Alamo.jpg

Irrefutable proof of this previously undiscovered cigar box guitar and its' role at the Battle of the Alamo.
Photo courtesy of I.M. Afraud.

Last edited:
I would buy that thing. What a piece of history.

Who would have thunk it? Our humble little instrument turning up in such bizarre and historic ways.

Would you believe that right now as I make this comment I am investigating yet another strange tale of the ukulele?

!

Jeff

Top Bottom