Do you ever think?

Rllink

Reaction score
There is no doubt that UU is filled with very knowledgeable ukulele players who share their expertise freely, even at times they are not asked to do so. There is a lot to learn here. And one thing I have noticed is that much of that knowledge is common and accepted knowledge. I hear much the same thing in many instances, with only the presentation varying the responses. But does anyone ever think about breaking out? Does anyone try to find something, new, something unique, a style all their own? Maybe a finger picking style or their own unique strumming style, which after they become famous for it, their name will be attached and they will go down in ukulele history as a legend? I do all the time. I mean, I do the weirdest things trying to find that unique Rllink strum, chord progression, finger picking style, genre, way of holding the uke, that I will be remembered for. I just haven't found it yet.

Last edited:
The only strumming patterns I have ever studied was Iz' and George Formby's, otherwise, I just do what feels and sounds right for the song, using a drum or bass beat as a guide for my strumming, except when I'm playing with a group where everyone just strums down up, down up, etc. ad nauseum.

Does anyone try to find something, new, something unique, a style all their own? Maybe a finger picking style or their own unique strumming style, which after they become famous for it, their name will be attached and they will go down in ukulele history as a legend?

I wish! But I'm not good enough (yet... ever?), haha.
My ambition though is to be able to translate playing techniques from certain West African string instruments to the uke. Come back and ask me about it in 15-20 years when I've perhaps gone somewhere with it ;)

Yeah. I get it all the time in the ukulele group.

"Don't do that Chadwick thing. You know, that thing he does with his fingers. Doesn't sound right."

;-)

I don't know about having a style all my own yet, but I do know that I've never consciously had any desire to learn someone else's style. I wouldn't know what an Iz strum or a Formby strum or a James Hill trick or a Jake technique was if my life depended on it!

I do know that the one thing I'm known for among my real-life uke comrades is my slightly unorthodox left-hand fingering. I do some crazy contorted stuff in an attempt to reach farther than my little hands allow. One person told me my left hand looks like a spider when I play... maybe I should start saying my technique is Spider Style? :)

I harbour delusions of mediocrity with small stretches of competency. If I look unique or weird in the process so be it. :nana:

Well, yes and no. It appears to me that those two are unique, at least to me they are. While their styles are unique, now it is their style, not mine, or anyone else's. So good for them, and learning their styles may lead you to your own, but if you can post it, it has already been done. So unless you are one of those two, are you saying that your short answer is no?

Last edited:
I love learning all sorts of different technique, that were championed by different people. But I never worry about intentionally coming up with some sort of technique that people will associate with me. I just try to learn and play the best that I can, every time.

I love learning all sorts of different technique, that were championed by different people. But I never worry about intentionally coming up with some sort of technique that people will associate with me. I just try to learn and play the best that I can, every time.

Well, trust me, I'm a long way from being unique. I'm still struggling to just play songs, but that doesn't stop me from aiming for it.

So unless you are one of those two, your short answer is no?

Well.. to be fair, the question you actually asked was answered appropriately.

If your question is "Do you have a style you'll be remembered for? and if so please share it" you'd have gotten a different response.

My style is casual slop. Often imitated, never duplicated. :D I got a looper for christmas.. boy is that a humbling experience.

Well.. to be fair, the question you actually asked was answered appropriately.

If your question is "Do you have a style you'll be remembered for? and if so please share it" you'd have gotten a different response.

My style is casual slop. Often imitated, never duplicated. :D I got a looper for christmas.. boy is that a humbling experience.
Ok, you win.

I think the most likely way that could ever happen is if you begin in a vacuum, and teach yourself from the get-go. There's a real sense of liberation in taking that path, and no pressure about trying to replicate something or some style that is already being utilised. I taught myself everything I do and don't know and while my style is probably not particularly unique nor will be remembered generations from now, it's mine and that is satisfying in itself.

I don't expect to be "remembered" for my ukulele playing, but as a lifelong drummer with a knack for developing interesting rhythms, I think I have a unique style of attacking the uke with fingertips, knuckles, the palm of my hand, etc. I didn't even realize it until a very accomplished guitar player friend of mine started asking me to show him how to do certain "tricks" on the frets.

The most accomplished, best-remembered players probably never consciously worked on their strums or their general approach to the instrument. It likely just happened. That's why they are famous, and that's why so many find it so hard to recreate what guys like Formby did.

Top Bottom