PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions from those with direct experience with string set for 8-string

Cfiimei
01-29-2015, 07:21 AM
:-) I recently purchased an Ohana 8-string (solid spruce/mahogany, lightly built.) The strings that came on it are black, with the exception of the wound low G, but I can't tell what brand they are (guessing Hilo.) Does anyone have direct experience with string brands for the 8-string? I'm considering Aquila, Worth, and Southcoast at the moment. I'm familiar with the difference between Aquila and Worth on a 4 string high G, not so familiar with Southcoast, and there just aren't any comparisons out there for 8 string sets that I can find. Any comments would be appreciated. In the end I'll probably order all 3, and possibly some that are suggested. I find it takes a fair bit of experimentation with each of my ukes before I finally settle on the best set or combination, and I know it is subjective; still, I'd love to hear some comments. The current strings are playable, but that's about it. :-)

Manalishi
01-29-2015, 08:07 AM
I cobbled a set of 8 strings together by using two sets of Aquila (non wound)
strings. I remember that I used the C string (the thickest) for the Low G string
and worked out the rest according to their tuning and thickness. Can't remember
the fine details I'm afraid but it was a few years back,and I no longer own an 8
sting ukulele! But I'm sure others will chip in with advice,based on their particular
experiences!

Kanaka916
01-29-2015, 08:33 AM
There are only a few companies who have 8 string sets; Aquila, Worth, Ko`olau, GHS, Hilo & Southcoast. Of the ones listed, I've used 4 of em; the Aquila's were loud, the Worth's were a tad bit bright and the Hilo's just felt a bit stiff and ended up liking the Southcoast set the best because of it's tone, feel and playability. They have two sets; T8U-WB (Taropatch Ukulele Set w/ wound basses) and the 8U-NW (8 String Ukulele Set non wounds). IMO, the wound set has better balance and clarity for my 8 string and if I were to get another 8 string (sometime in the future) I would not hesitate to replace the stock strings with a set of Southcoast.

hendulele
01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
I recently sold a Kala KA-8. The last set of strings I used were Aquilas with the exception of the low G (the Aquila Red broke, as the Reds tend to do). I replaced it with a Worth clear low G (fluorocarbon, unwound). I've lost the love for Aquilas over the past few months, but on the Kala they (with with Worth) sounded fine to me.

anthonyg
01-29-2015, 01:44 PM
What sound do you want. I have a Mele Koa 8 string tenor with the Hilo strings on it and an Alulu 8 string Acacia tenor with Aquila strings on it. The Mele with Hilo's sounds really sweet. The Aquila's are punchier. I do tend to prefer the Aquila Nylgut strings on my ukuleles however I am leaving the Hilo strings on the Mele for now as it gives me a different sound to use for different songs.

Anthony

Nickie
01-29-2015, 01:55 PM
We have Worth Clears on Tammy's Kamaka 8, she loves em.

Cfiimei
01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Awesome replies, thanks so much! I'll probably order an offering from each company and try them all. The observations help considerably. I have very high hopes for the Southcoast strings, and I especially appreciate the note on their Taropatch strings; I saw that set on their page and was wondering about them. I also like their "mixed set" phylosophy. I know the same strings sound different on different instruments, but at least now I have an idea of what to expect. Many thanks! :-)

SteveZ
01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
There's a number of ways to string an eight-string. It just depends what kind of sound you want from it. The "traditional" eight-string sets (like Aquila's "AT8" tenor 8-string set) are GCEA with high and low G and C strings, and the standard E and A strings doubled.

If you prefer a mandola-type fifths tuning (CGDA), just install two sets of Aquila's CGDA "31U" string set. I have that on an Oscar Schmidt 8-string and love it. A sound sample of it is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/ou28t-heart-of-the-matter

Cornfield
01-30-2015, 02:50 AM
We have Worth Clears on Tammy's Kamaka 8, she loves em.

My white label Kamaka 8 sounds great with Worth clears.

strumsilly
01-30-2015, 05:24 AM
I have southcoast on mine.

PhilUSAFRet
01-30-2015, 02:40 PM
I have Southcoasts on my 6 strings (almost 8). Very happy with them.