Looking for opinions from those with direct experience with string set for 8-string

Cfiimei

Reaction score
:) I recently purchased an Ohana 8-string (solid spruce/mahogany, lightly built.) The strings that came on it are black, with the exception of the wound low G, but I can't tell what brand they are (guessing Hilo.) Does anyone have direct experience with string brands for the 8-string? I'm considering Aquila, Worth, and Southcoast at the moment. I'm familiar with the difference between Aquila and Worth on a 4 string high G, not so familiar with Southcoast, and there just aren't any comparisons out there for 8 string sets that I can find. Any comments would be appreciated. In the end I'll probably order all 3, and possibly some that are suggested. I find it takes a fair bit of experimentation with each of my ukes before I finally settle on the best set or combination, and I know it is subjective; still, I'd love to hear some comments. The current strings are playable, but that's about it. :)

I cobbled a set of 8 strings together by using two sets of Aquila (non wound)
strings. I remember that I used the C string (the thickest) for the Low G string
and worked out the rest according to their tuning and thickness. Can't remember
the fine details I'm afraid but it was a few years back,and I no longer own an 8
sting ukulele! But I'm sure others will chip in with advice,based on their particular
experiences!

There are only a few companies who have 8 string sets; Aquila, Worth, Ko`olau, GHS, Hilo & Southcoast. Of the ones listed, I've used 4 of em; the Aquila's were loud, the Worth's were a tad bit bright and the Hilo's just felt a bit stiff and ended up liking the Southcoast set the best because of it's tone, feel and playability. They have two sets; T8U-WB (Taropatch Ukulele Set w/ wound basses) and the 8U-NW (8 String Ukulele Set non wounds). IMO, the wound set has better balance and clarity for my 8 string and if I were to get another 8 string (sometime in the future) I would not hesitate to replace the stock strings with a set of Southcoast.

I recently sold a Kala KA-8. The last set of strings I used were Aquilas with the exception of the low G (the Aquila Red broke, as the Reds tend to do). I replaced it with a Worth clear low G (fluorocarbon, unwound). I've lost the love for Aquilas over the past few months, but on the Kala they (with with Worth) sounded fine to me.

What sound do you want. I have a Mele Koa 8 string tenor with the Hilo strings on it and an Alulu 8 string Acacia tenor with Aquila strings on it. The Mele with Hilo's sounds really sweet. The Aquila's are punchier. I do tend to prefer the Aquila Nylgut strings on my ukuleles however I am leaving the Hilo strings on the Mele for now as it gives me a different sound to use for different songs.

Anthony

We have Worth Clears on Tammy's Kamaka 8, she loves em.

Awesome replies, thanks so much! I'll probably order an offering from each company and try them all. The observations help considerably. I have very high hopes for the Southcoast strings, and I especially appreciate the note on their Taropatch strings; I saw that set on their page and was wondering about them. I also like their "mixed set" phylosophy. I know the same strings sound different on different instruments, but at least now I have an idea of what to expect. Many thanks! :)

There's a number of ways to string an eight-string. It just depends what kind of sound you want from it. The "traditional" eight-string sets (like Aquila's "AT8" tenor 8-string set) are GCEA with high and low G and C strings, and the standard E and A strings doubled.

If you prefer a mandola-type fifths tuning (CGDA), just install two sets of Aquila's CGDA "31U" string set. I have that on an Oscar Schmidt 8-string and love it. A sound sample of it is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/ou28t-heart-of-the-matter

I have Southcoasts on my 6 strings (almost 8). Very happy with them.

Top Bottom