proper cutaway look?

tangimango

Reaction score
Does the cutaway need to be flush with the fretboard/neck one fluid line?

Ive seen some ukuleles where theres atleast quarter inch ledge (or size of the binding) from the fretboard before the cutaway,

does that mean he didnt measure right or did that on purpose?

Does the cutaway need to be flush with the fretboard/neck one fluid line?

Ive seen some ukuleles where theres atleast quarter inch ledge (or size of the binding) from the fretboard before the cutaway,

does that mean he didnt measure right or did that on purpose?

I don't know what's right or wrong, but the cutaway of my ukulele is flush with the fretboard binding. The radius is done so it ends up that way, so I know the luthier did it on purpose.

However that may just be his preference. I think it looks better as one fluid line, but that's only my opinion.

It doesn't need to be, but it looks sloppy to me if there's a corner sticking out. It does require more care and accuracy, though.

I think both ways look good either way, just curious why some is fluid and some is not, due to measuring wrong or on purpose.
even in the guitar world I see a lot of both ends some with really large ledge right before the cutaway. some high end vintage guitars ive seen also has the none fluid line and some do. just curious ;):)

I don't know what's right or wrong, but the cutaway of my ukulele is flush with the fretboard binding. The radius is done so it ends up that way, so I know the luthier did it on purpose.

However that may just be his preference. I think it looks better as one fluid line, but that's only my opinion.

Different luthiers do different things- there is no right cutaway. I like to have the purfling line run up the side of the fingerboard on cutaways and scoops- you can kinda see it in this pic.

Uke 3 Finish (1 of 1).jpg

Haha thanks Beau. No new videos for us to watch? Maybe on how to do that scoop cutaway, that burl scoop is so beautiful.

Different luthiers do different things- there is no right cutaway. I like to have the purfling line run up the side of the fingerboard on cutaways and scoops- you can kinda see it in this pic.

View attachment 75500

Top Bottom