Uke Strap, worth getting?

I think it's worth buying a strap. I have Kala Uke Crazy straps on two of my ukes. They cost less than $15. If you Google "ukulele strap" you can find similar ones for under $10 at the chain stores. I don't think you could make a decent strap for less.

I make my own out of leather ... but I have a bit of experience doing leather ... I'm considering making some available on UU ... if that is the type of thing you folks have interest in :iwant:

I have 2" wide strap that I am partial to, and it is about $12. I like that it is cotton and doesn't slip.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/franklin-strap-2-black-cotton-guitar-strap-with-leather-ends

This one sounds good. I really like a strap that is all cotton, which is actually not easy to find. Cotton breathes well which makes it comfortable over the long haul. Most cloth straps are nylon/poly which does NOT breathe.

I have also made a strap out of a belt I got at a thrift store. I just cut off the parts I did not need and cut in strap button holes. The biggest challenge was finding one long enough. I'm a bit pudgy so I needed a long belt to go around me. The belt I started with cost only about $3.

I personally prefer wearing uke (and mandolin) straps over my right shoulder only ... more comfortable, more mobility, and it holds the instrument in place as it should.

I make the Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap for ukes, with your choice of regular standard button keyhole, or larger amp/ button keyhole. It comes in polypro, or leather. Made by me in Los Angeles. See links in sig. If you want to order just the leather parts, and make the rest yourself, let me know. The hardest part is getting a nice clean cut in the leather, especially for the button. I have a laser engraver that makes a very clean and professional cut.
–Lori

This one sounds good. I really like a strap that is all cotton, which is actually not easy to find. Cotton breathes well which makes it comfortable over the long haul. Most cloth straps are nylon/poly which does NOT breathe.

I have also made a strap out of a belt I got at a thrift store. I just cut off the parts I did not need and cut in strap button holes. The biggest challenge was finding one long enough. I'm a bit pudgy so I needed a long belt to go around me. The belt I started with cost only about $3.

I like that the heel end has a long "nose" on the leather end.

I tried the over the shoulder style - Rhonda Vincent plays her mandolin that way - but it didn't work for me.

I started with a ukulele strap, but needed to go to a guitar strap as I needed the extra length to go around me, too.

The Uke Crazy strap mentioned by Gary above is a quality stap for a modest price. If later you want something more fancy then you will always have a good spare
Cliff

I have not read all the suggestions so I am sorry if this has been mentioned. THere are cheap straps usually black with a color stripe going down the center on E-bay all the time at auction they normally go for just over $1 up to $2 they have an assortment of color stripes. (and free shipping) There are a few "buy it now" for 99 cents w/ free shipping world wide.

Type this in the search bar:
High Quality Pro Guitar Bass Strap Colorful Twill Blue MUS

I have found an easy way to make a safty for the strap if you take a piece of rubber and put a hole in it with a paper punch you can stretch it over your button and lock you guitar strap in place, The rubber I use is from heat shrink tubing it is black, you can also use the rubber from inside a bottle cap.

Last edited:
I make my own out of leather ... but I have a bit of experience doing leather ... I'm considering making some available on UU ... if that is the type of thing you folks have interest in :iwant:

Can you post a picture, please?

I make the Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap for ukes, with your choice of regular standard button keyhole, or larger amp/ button keyhole. It comes in polypro, or leather. Made by me in Los Angeles. See links in sig. If you want to order just the leather parts, and make the rest yourself, let me know. The hardest part is getting a nice clean cut in the leather, especially for the button. I have a laser engraver that makes a very clean and professional cut.
–Lori

I love Lori's Uke Leash and the variety of ways it can be used.
On top of that her service is top notch. Thanks Lori!

I have made most of my straps. The Reso-uke strapwas a flea market cotton web belt with the buckle cut off. I took the strap buttons off and screwed them back on through the belt. This uke had the buttons on it when I got it.
The concert Kala strap was braided leather boot laces and it is tied at the headstock.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/james14076/ukestraps_zps5r2vbowl.jpg

Attachments

• ukestraps.jpg
    ukestraps.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 22
I have made most of my straps. The Reso-uke strapwas a flea market cotton web belt with the buckle cut off. I took the strap buttons off and screwed them back on through the belt. This uke had the buttons on it when I got it.
The concert Kala strap was braided leather boot laces and it is tied at the headstock.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/james14076/ukestraps_zps5r2vbowl.jpg

Those straps (and ukes) look nice! I think DIY projects are the best and add a personal touch. I've thought about doing a flat Kumihimo braid that is an inch wide and make a harness strap. It would take forever and I'm not sure I have the patience.

Top Bottom