Just my luck! Now what uke? Koaloha?

scooterguitar

Reaction score
Decided on the Kanilea...snooze ya lose...gone! Is foul language allowed on here:D

Ok, ok...
Koaloha, just go for it? I like Mike's description of the string spacing, as in their design allows for less slippage off the sides of the board for hammer-ons and such, which suites me fine. I come from the 80's school of neoclassical guitar shredding:music:

At the rate I'm going I'll never find a uke! Better retire before I start:p

Koaloha is just a little outta my comfort zone, but...is it the bees knees, the "one"? I could afford a straight Concert opposed to the super.
Hmmm...

Let's talk deepness and projection...

Consider a G string maybe?

Thanks for listening

Last edited:
Decided on the Kanilea...snooze ya lose...gone! Is foul language allowed on here:D

Ok, ok...
Koaloha, just go for it? I like Mike's description of the string spacing, as in their design allows for less slippage off the sides of the board for hammer-ons and such, which suites me fine. I come from the 80's school of neoclassical guitar shredding:music:

At the rate I'm going I'll never find a uke! Better retire before I start:p

Koaloha is just a little outta my comfort zone, but...is it the bees knees, the "one"? I could afford a straight Concert opposed to the super.
Hmmm...

Let's talk deepness and projection...

Consider a G string maybe?

Thanks for listening

I wouldn't go with a G string without the ability to try it. I have found many of them have intonation issues.

Koaloha makes some great ukes. If you don't mind me asking; what is your price range?

I got my KoAloha from MGM for around that price. It's beautiful. And I was not able to try them out beforehand. They're pretty nice.

deach you are so funny! and you know me so well! its like you can finish my sentiences.. it must me that crazy weekend we spent in Mexico... i will never for get those hot nights! we got so close is so few days.. i will remember it always!!

deach you are so funny! and you know me so well! its like you can finish my sentiences.. it must me that crazy weekend we spent in Mexico... i will never for get those hot nights! we got so close is so few days.. i will remember it always!!

I don't remember a damn thing after you handed me that "special" pill.

Ok, ok...

Um, IF the Kanile'a was what you decided on as right for you, then patience! I'm sure another will become available. I have my Kanile'a soprano - sigh - it plays like a dream...

Don't rush into a second choice without investigating the potential availability of your first choice (and call MGM - he might be able to tell you more about future availability - he lives in the same town where Kanile'as are built, after all!).

as for the deeper tone and projection...

Of the 4 different KoAloha Sopranos I got to play when I picked mine out it seems that the darker color the wood it had a deeper tone and better projection.

as for the deeper tone and projection...

Of the 4 different KoAloha Sopranos I got to play when I picked mine out it seems that the darker color the wood it had a deeper tone and better projection.

i think you are right with that... i felt the same way.. and this might just all be in my head but the darker KOA with deep dark lines sounded the best to my ear... i always wonder if this is for real more a function of my eyes or ears.. because i love the dark with the lines!

what about the "curly koa" how does that make it sound? or is it just a look? they told me at the Koaloha factory that it is made my trees waving in the wind a lot.. and the branches swaying from side to side.. causing the waves.. i sure looks great!!

Um, IF the Kanile'a was what you decided on as right for you, then patience! I'm sure another will become available. I have my Kanile'a soprano - sigh - it plays like a dream...

Don't rush into a second choice without investigating the potential availability of your first choice (and call MGM - he might be able to tell you more about future availability - he lives in the same town where Kanile'as are built, after all!).

i agree with baby carrots. don't let all your previous research go to waste.

Koaloha just outta my range. Might just go mid priced to begin with so I can get playing. Mainlands are looking nicer and nicer after all this angst:>)

Seriously - if you compromise, you'll end up with a Kanile'a anyway. It is the nature of UAS. They speak to you. They call to you. The ukes you set your heart on will never let you forget that you chose them - if you don't buy them now, you WILL buy them later, but you will be out more money. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Just...give it a bit of time, or more importantly CALL MGM and see when he will get more...it will be worth it in the long run...

Agreed with bbycrts. You WILL buy the Kanile'a no matter what, even if you buy the Mainland first. ;)

KoAlohas are awesome, and I think you'd be very happy with one. Buying a KoAloha instead of a Kanile'a is not "settling" at all. But if you really had your heart set on the Kanile'a, you shouldn't feel like you have to buy your second choice because the first one's sold out. After all, Kanile'a builds a decent amount of ukes, and it won't be long before another one comes along. MGM doesn't always list every piece of inventory as soon as it comes in, so it's worth asking to see what's up.

You guys are killing me!
The Honu is looking like my best choice at this point:>)
I'm using a Hilo baritone tuned high G now, heck anything is gonna kill that tone and playability I'd hope!

You guys are killing me!
The Honu is looking like my best choice at this point:>)
I'm using a Hilo baritone tuned high G now, heck anything is gonna kill that tone and playability I'd hope!

Do I have to come right out of this computer and slap you around a bit???

Sorry...fact is, you'll end up with more than one (two, three...) anyway, so you might as well start with the one you want the most. You have SOMETHING to play for now...

Top Bottom