DIY Humidity Device (Pill Bottle) How To

dominicfoundthemooon

Reaction score
DIY Humidity Device (Pill Bottle) How To

So this was an experiment of sorts... And well.. It works!! I was just laying around this weekend.. And I knew I had to get some kind of humidity into my Koaloha case... All of my other devices are for my guitars! I did read that a sponge in a plastic bag with holes will work.. but then I looked on MGM webpage and saw a little bottle with a snap on cap, and sponge in side.. I thought!!

I have plastic bottles... (pills) and I have a sponge! So lets do it!! I drilled some holes and wet the sponge.. after 24 hours the humidity in my case was 40% still low... but keep in mind my house is at 15%!!! You see I have like 4 gauges!! I have then in every case and one in the room where I keep the cases.. So my invention was doing something!! But I then thought.. I will just make another one to go in the case!

And then.. Since I was doing that... I said.. I will make a video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAlkTUPRkc

I know that it is super simple so the video was just more for fun!! And after like an hour.. after number two went in.. it was at 45%

So that is that! I am going ot keep my eye on it for the next week or so! I thought of makeing funny little labels for them.. maybe even making them for others.. selling them for like 5 dollars.. or just giving them away to UU members.. yeah.. that is the ticket.. I should make it my gift.. Anyhow.. I will let you know how they work..

Take a gander at the video and let me know what you think!

d

Great idea.... it's got to help, eh?

it has.. i checked the humidity this am and it was close to 50% my guess is the reason i needed two is that it is so DRY here in Kansas City!! Under 15%

i am new with guitar and the like.. thus i had to learn a few lessons... my martin was the victim! but... i then did some reading... and after a little research.. i emptied a closet out in my house... and i placed my two martins inside with a humidifier.. i made sure it was now blowing wetness on the guitars.. and kept a gage in the room. i kept it at about 75% for a week. when i took the guitars out i notice that even there color had changed... they smelled more like "wood" and looked alive! the back of the guitars had an arch again, the tops were flat.. and the fret buzz was gone... i then made little sponge/zipock deals and put two in each case... along with a planet waves "between the strings deal" and i bought two higher end gauges.. they seem to stay around 45% but i have to check on them every two days in this dry weather.

when i bought my new koaloha i did not want to mess it up.. so i made the pill box!

i will check it again when i get home!

d

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read you think about selling yours^^

yeah.. that is why i switched mid sentences to say.. i think i would just give them away! my mom makes all kinds of little "kitch" that she sells at craft shows.. little bottles with labels on them.. i was thinking of having her make a little label for them.. and then telling people to PM me with there address and i would send them out one! just for free! but first i have to take a lot more pills!! and then i need to print the labels! might be a project i do next month!

d

ps: i do love my mom and her kitch.. now she can make uke-kitch! like thing bling thigns.. that is very kitch!

Top Bottom