Bridge Pins...

This is a solution looking for a problem. The article says, "One of the most difficult things in learning basic guitar maintenance is how to change your strings." Really? Sounds like this guy is in the wrong line of work.

So, what is so hard about changing strings that use bridge pins? Any string winder has a pin puller built in, and before I had that, I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers with tubing over the jaws.

Of course, that was 30-40 years ago, so I guess I have to move forward with the times...

And use the pin-puller on the $3 dunlop string winder, when and if I ever change strings on my guitars again.

But thanks for the link, Stan.

-Kurt​

I think this looks intriguing for a steel string guitar.

I don't like bridge pins on ukes or guitars...co's some times i like to play with my hand resting on the bridge picking and damping style, and the pins get in the way and feel uncomfortable. :(

Adding such excess weight to the bridge is very bad.

A pinless bridge does this operation just fine.

I know you have a lot more experience with this than I do Beau, but most of the area occupied by the bridge pins is drilled/reamed out of the bridge and top. So we are mostly only considering the little balls on the ends of the pins as "extra" weight. I'd be surprised if that gram or so difference in weight is perceivable. Also, many pin bridges use a smaller footprint anyway, i.e. Kanile'a so the total weight compared to a tie on bridge may not be any greater. Can you tell I like pin bridges? ;)

I think this whole thing is pure hokum. The big giveaway is that the "test" guitar using the "same strings" that seemed to "sparkle" after the miracle pins were used. As anybody that has tried to rehabilitate older wound steel strings knows, relaxing them for awhile and then tuning them up again makes them sound newer and better. I've actually boiled wound strings and that works too. For awhile. Whats next? Radioactive pins?... Amusing though. Obviously aimed at the naive guitar player who finds changing strings challenging.

I know you have a lot more experience with this than I do Beau, but most of the area occupied by the bridge pins is drilled/reamed out of the bridge and top. So we are mostly only considering the little balls on the ends of the pins as "extra" weight. I'd be surprised if that gram or so difference in weight is perceivable. Also, many pin bridges use a smaller footprint anyway, i.e. Kanile'a so the total weight compared to a tie on bridge may not be any greater. Can you tell I like pin bridges? ;)

I would bet the total weight would be more- There seem to be two screws that go through the top. not sure.
Further, the break angle of the strings over the saddle is less then a normal pinless bridge. Only a few mm but thats a few degrees, and you only have a few to start with.

We can all agree that the physics of added mass (i.e. these clips) to the bridge area will do nothing to improve sound, right?

As a data point, Kanilea (and Martin?) pin bridges don't have screws, koala tie bridges do. Which assembly has more mass? I donno.

We can all agree that the physics of added mass (i.e. these clips) to the bridge area will do nothing to improve sound, right?

As a data point, Kanilea (and Martin?) pin bridges don't have screws, koala tie bridges do. Which assembly has more mass? I donno.

Pin bridges don't really add mass- you drill a hole, then fill it with a wooden bridge pin so its about the same.

I would bet the total weight would be more- There seem to be two screws that go through the top. not sure.
Further, the break angle of the strings over the saddle is less then a normal pinless bridge. Only a few mm but thats a few degrees, and you only have a few to start with.
Oh... I get it now, you're referring to the contraption in the video, not normal pin bridges. I hadn't even watched the video when I posted my previous comment...

Top Bottom