Weakening Spot on the String?

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I notice several of these spots on my brand new Oasis A string . When I run my finger underneath the string, these spots feel rough. The G,C,E are fine.
Is this normal for this type of clear nylon?
Just thought I better check with all the experts in the forum. Thanks
See photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_4121.jpg
    IMG_4121.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
No expert here but in my experience, local rough spots (usually over the frets) are time to change strings. I find them by running my fingernail along the underside of the string- at a rough spot the nail catches. I'd be returning them (if not too much hassle- mail order, etc.).

No expert here but in my experience, local rough spots (usually over the frets) are time to change strings. I find them by running my fingernail along the underside of the string- at a rough spot the nail catches. I'd be returning them (if not too much hassle- mail order, etc.).

Can not return them because they are from Hawaii Music Supply and they did not charge me. It was a brand new unopened package.

Can not return them because they are from Hawaii Music Supply and they did not charge me. It was a brand new unopened package.
If they didn't cost you anything, why not just play them and see what happens? Then, if it breaks there, or something else, you can report back your findings. Maybe nothing will happen, and it will be just fine. You would then become the expert on that particular issue.

From your picture the bump is near the bottom of the saddle, your saddle must have created the bump, then moved up as you tightened the strings. Well thats what I got from the photo.
You can still play it, no need to exchange for new.strings, you will probabbly get the same bumps with new strings again, and again, your good to go.

If.your steing is long enough, you can just cut the string to where there is no bumps and then restring it. Easy fix if any

The owner of oasis strings is a member here, david hepple, he sells humidifiers too
Usually the a string is the thinnest and shows the first wear, I just play them until they
Go off tone and change them.. this is probably due to the softer compound of the strings.

Last edited:
The owner of oasis strings is a member here, david hepple, he sells humidifiers too
Usually the a string is the thinnest and shows the first wear, I just play them until they
Go off tone and change them.. this is probably due to the softer compound of the strings.

Thanks mm stan. I am still learning which strings work well with my new uku . Joe from Kanile'a and Aaron from HMS both said use only
Aquila or Oasis. Oasis is not available in Canada (or I am not finding it). This set is given to me by HMS.
Aquila has so many different style of strings. Can you recommend one that has clear pitch for fingering style? I have the red series in the tenor. It's sound good but I don't really like the wax feeling on my fingers. I prefer the thinner strings. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Oasis is not available in Canada (or I am not finding it).

Lots of US uke and string retailers ship to Canada, including HMS, Elderly, Southcoast, Just Strings, etc. Shipping might be as much or more than the strings if you only order one set at a time. Good news is with such a small value item they generally don't get held up by Canada Post for taxes owed.

Thanks mm stan. I am still learning which strings work well with my new uku . Joe from Kanile'a and Aaron from HMS both said use only
Aquila or Oasis. Oasis is not available in Canada (or I am not finding it). This set is given to me by HMS.
Aquila has so many different style of strings. Can you recommend one that has clear pitch for fingering style? I have the red series in the tenor. It's sound good but I don't really like the wax feeling on my fingers. I prefer the thinner strings. Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Sent you a pm brenda....

From your picture the bump is near the bottom of the saddle, your saddle must have created the bump, then moved up as you tightened the strings. Well thats what I got from the photo.
You can still play it, no need to exchange for new.strings, you will probabbly get the same bumps with new strings again, and again, your good to go.

If.your steing is long enough, you can just cut the string to where there is no bumps and then restring it. Easy fix if any
Yes, I agree the saddle produced the bump and it moved up as the string stetched. Might have too much edge on the saddle, check next time you change strings, a few light passes with #0000 steel wool or 600 grit sand paper can take off the edge.

Top Bottom