Changing low G string to Renentrant G string

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm using Southcoast RW's on one of my tenors. I'd like to make it reentrant since I have two other linear G strung tenors.

Can I use one of my old A strings from the same set for a reentrant G?

Hi

I think so. If you use an A string for G, it may be a little low in tension but no big deal. A possible problem is the nut slot. Your current may be too wide and the string will move or rattle or buzz.

Once you commit to a high G, you can get the nut replaced.

Cheers
Chief

In a re-entrant set, the G string is a little thinner than the A string but you can use an A string for the G string.

I do this all the time, and the other way around as well (my A strings tend to wear out really fast and I always have extra reentrant G's on hand from sets that I use a different brand's low G with). Never had a problem either way.

In a re-entrant set, the G string is a little thinner than the A string but you can use an A string for the G string.

I believe it's the other way around, the A string is the thinnest of the set...

I have no knowledge of these things - does thickness actually matter? If a string is tuned to high G, does it matter if its previous life was as an A or C string? Its still tuned to high G, and will sound like a high G, right?

Top Bottom