Where can I buy extra padding to add to a gig bag?

westcoast

Reaction score
I have one of the Kala Uke Crazy gig bags that's not very productive. Does anyone know where I can buy some extra padding to add to the sides?

I have one of the Kala Uke Crazy gig bags that's not very productive. Does anyone know where I can buy some extra padding to add to the sides?

You might be better off/cheaper to buy a better bag after the cost of the materials, and the work to put in the xtra padding.
If you're set on adding padding, you can get both fiber padding, and foam padding at most fabric stores, and probably walmart.

I was trying out a long neck soprano at a store, and I saw that it fit into the Kala soprano-sized bags, but those bags are pretty thin. Unfortunately it's hard to find a more padded bag for a long-neck soprano, so I was thinking about buying the cheaper one (which fits in the outer dimensions) and adding padding to it.

I agree. Those foam cases can be found for modest outlays. I just checked Empire Music and their tenor size foam bag is only $30. Why worry about a gig bag?

Try a fabric store. I've bought foam in all different thicknesses at JoAnn Fabric, which I think is a chain, but I would think any fabric store would carry it.

depending on how you want to install it into your gig bag and how much more protection you think you need you could go anywhere from anywhere from headliner material (used in the inside tops of cars, available in multiple colors), or just some green cushion foam that has a variety of thicknesses, both are available from the bigger fabric stores. The green foam could probably be cut to the shape of the inside of your bag and would likely stay put pretty well. Another piece could be added to the top and placed in the case when not in use.

Edit: What Rlink said :)

Bubble wrap would be easy and cheap.

Kaces bags. Can get for less than $30 from Uke Republic...awesome amt of padding. Go for it ;)

Along the with the others, I'd say it might be cheaper to buy new. I don't own one, but the Fusion bags on eBay have gotten good reviews here on UU. Search Fusion bags.

If I needed to customize a gig bag or case, I've always gotten sheets of EVA foam mats, made for workshops and kids play areas, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:eva foam mats

81xwSLKKrGL._SX466_.jpg

last week the store fivebelow.com had them for $2.50 per 2'x2' square, so I picked up a few.

You can cut the shape you want with a utility knife or a scissor, and if need be, build up layers to the proper thickness you need, and then easily join the layers with a hot glue gun.

They are very high density foam, and seem to absorb and dissipate impact energy pretty well in my informal/accidental 'drop' tests.

Long neck soprano? How long? I have a Mainland long neck pineapple..22 1/2" Kaces soprano fits like a glove and is WELL padded.

Long neck soprano? How long? I have a Mainland long neck pineapple..22 1/2" Kaces soprano fits like a glove and is WELL padded.

This would be for a Kala SLNG which is 22.5". Do you have a link for the Kaces?

One of my ukes is a little small for my favorite case so I bought some foam and sewed some polar fleece around it, making a little curved pillow to fit inside the case. I think I got the foam at Walmart and the fabric there as well, and it works great.

You want protection against what? Some "covers" are protective only against dust. From even a short drop you hear wood against the other object. The little soprano Kala in a case came from Scottie's Music in Hawaii. The padding is the lightest weight foam made but does stop hard contact between uke and a flat surface. There is a thicker piece across the bottom for when it is placed vertically. The stuff recommended above for head liners is also the stuff for dashboard covers. It cuts nicely with scissors. Were you to make a bottom and a side strip, you could create a nicely padded little case. To mate the two into a one piece, just a few here and there LIGHT dabs of silicon rubber from a tube would hold the edges together. One does not need full joining all the way around as you get with sewing. {Do it on the sides which contact the case so there is no show /no contact with the instrument. Yes... small sections of masking tape or Scotch tape will hold the pieces together. It does not need to meet USPostal standards. I do not use nylon fleece of any density because of stuff that can get into the fibres and scratch the uke's surface. I don't want to have to vacuum out my case for cookie crumbs, etc. Go see one of your local upholstery shops. We don't call it scrap....rather it is random sized pieces that will be still useful for such things as what you need.

Would you happen to have a strap button at the bottom of your uke? According to this page: http://kaces.com/product/304/kaces-soprano-size-ukulele-bag it has an internal dimension of 22.25", so I'm wondering if adding a strap button at the bottom will make 22.5" be a little too snug.

Mine does not have a button, but you should be fine. I too was concerned about the 1/4", but the padding is thick, and there is quite a bit of play in a flexible gig bag. Mine would still fit easily if it had a strap button.

You want protection against what? Some "covers" are protective only against dust. From even a short drop you hear wood against the other object. The little soprano Kala in a case came from Scottie's Music in Hawaii. The padding is the lightest weight foam made but does stop hard contact between uke and a flat surface. There is a thicker piece across the bottom for when it is placed vertically. The stuff recommended above for head liners is also the stuff for dashboard covers. It cuts nicely with scissors. Were you to make a bottom and a side strip, you could create a nicely padded little case. To mate the two into a one piece, just a few here and there LIGHT dabs of silicon rubber from a tube would hold the edges together. One does not need full joining all the way around as you get with sewing. {Do it on the sides which contact the case so there is no show /no contact with the instrument. Yes... small sections of masking tape or Scotch tape will hold the pieces together. It does not need to meet USPostal standards. I do not use nylon fleece of any density because of stuff that can get into the fibres and scratch the uke's surface. I don't want to have to vacuum out my case for cookie crumbs, etc. Go see one of your local upholstery shops. We don't call it scrap....rather it is random sized pieces that will be still useful for such things as what you need.

Thanks for your tips on nylon fleece!

Top Bottom